63 Impala SS 409- restoration

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Exactly! I kinda like the idea of squeezing everything you can out of that 340 hp engine for now. Some serious head work, a little more compression, headers and a current tight-lash roller (solids on a hydraulic-roller, lighter-spring profile) would be a nice sleeper. Maybe even an Aubrey intake if you could get the correct one...

I gotta quit spending OPM, sorry.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What Don said. It's your money and from what I've seen about restorations, lose as much as you can afford. :guitar

I'd hate to add up what I've put in my car since 1988 and especially this year. Luckily I divide everything I spend by 3 as the 3 kids will inherit everything if I don't spend it all first.:flag:drums:burnout:burnout:burnout
You forgot one thing, the per year cost per kid. Say $10,000/32/3=$104 per kid per year. Way less than toilet paper, coffee, beer, etc.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So what is a well restored and well documented 340/pg worth?

Same car cloned with the 4 speed and dual carbs 425hp?

I don’t know but I’d be curious to know what numbers you all think?

I’d rather have the 4 speed car and would pay more for it than the original pg car, but that’s just me. I’d also say if I had that all original car, I’d be less likely to drive it like I stole it?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
So what is a well restored and well documented 340/pg worth?

Same car cloned with the 4 speed and dual carbs 425hp?

I don’t know but I’d be curious to know what numbers you all think?

I’d rather have the 4 speed car and would pay more for it than the original pg car, but that’s just me. I’d also say if I had that all original car, I’d be less likely to drive it like I stole it?
And what fun is that??

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If your gonna change the trans you need to put three peddles in the car!!!! Three peddles are more fun than two (4spd=FUN), remember this is America and more is better, Lol the song went 4spd dual quad positraction 409 NOT power glide dual quad positraction 409. By the way if all your parts are original to that car (PG transmission) you need to keep them as long as you own the car or pass them on to the new owner.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your gonna change the trans you need to put three peddles in the car!!!! Three peddles are more fun than two (4spd=FUN), remember this is America and more is better, Lol the song went 4spd dual quad positraction 409 NOT power glide dual quad positraction 409. By the way if all your parts are original to that car (PG transmission) you need to keep them as long as you own the car or pass them on to the new owner.
Yes, it said 4spd. It didn't say 4spd standard though. So a 4spd auto would still fit:poke:D Yea, yea, I know I am going to get it for that one. I was joking...... Dont' ban me Bob.:pray

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nothing wrong with an automatic transmission, they work good and last a long time on the track and the street.

I agree. Automatics can be built to be super strong great transmissions. The reason they get the bad reputations is people take an OEM trans that was built for john Q public to drive the kids to school, or to use for shopping, driving to work etc., and beat on it like it was built for HP or racing. History has shown us lots of products demonized by people for no other reason than the people complaining either didn't know how it worked, didn't know how to work on it or modify it, or used it for the wrong application.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
and the PG would have to go...

Yup. But if you must run an automatic well, a Turbo 350 fits perfectly in the footprint of a PG, then if ya brake stand it it’ll at least turn the tires. 700R is ideal but...

My studies show a slushbox is roughly 1/8 as fun to drive as clutch car. But I can see why folks run automatics, they’re about 1/8 the cost and they don’t break. Not often anyway. Automatic was all I could afford for a long time.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yup. But if you must run an automatic well, a Turbo 350 fits perfectly in the footprint of a PG, then if ya brake stand it it’ll at least turn the tires. 700R is ideal but...

My studies show a slushbox is roughly 1/8 as fun to drive as clutch car. But I can see why folks run automatics, they’re about 1/8 the cost and they don’t break. Not often anyway. Automatic was all I could afford for a long time.
Having fun is never cheap!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The only problem I have had with 700r4s is the deep first gear is almost useless.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Rays seems to work well??
I'm not saying that it can't or doesn't work, I ran one (a BTO) for a few years. I still have one just like it in a 74 Nova stroker SBC. It's (for me) a better street trans than a race trans. If I did much highway driving, it would still be in my '61, it's a good compromise. It held up perfectly, no issues like that.

I would say the same thing about a manual 4-speed with a first gear ratio lower than about 2.75. I don't think a deep 1st gear and the resulting splits is the best plan, but that's only my opinion.