63 race car

austen65

can someone tell me more about the 63 impala in the black and white picture at the bottom of the home page? It's the picture where the 63 impala is racing the comet. Are there more pictures of this particular 63 impala? I would be interested in knowing about this car and any pictures available. Thanks,

RCampbell

Well Known Member
can someone tell me more about the 63 impala in the black and white picture at the bottom of the home page? It's the picture where the 63 impala is racing the comet. Are there more pictures of this particular 63 impala? I would be interested in knowing about this car and any pictures available. Thanks,
As trimmed in the photo the car is raced by Earl Evans. The car was previously raced by Eddy Sharpman as the White Tornado. The White Tornado was a "put together" Z11 assembled after the corporate ban on racing from dealership parts. Hope this helps.

Mike Pado

I have not seen the picture in question , but here is a picture of Eddy's car you are right the car was put together at jackshaw Chevy in Cleveland Ohio I know this because my brother and I put a 1963 Biscayne together for Ed Stinn Chevy in Cleveland both cars had all the Z-11 parts .I,ve know Eddy for over 45 years and that where I met Don N. I never heard or saw the car called The White Tornado.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I'm a little late on this, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. In 1962 Ed Shartman (Fast Eddy) worked for Jackshaw Chevrolet on Clevelands' east side. They raced a 62 Chev. In late 62 the raced the 63, that later went to Evans Chevrolet in Painesville, Ohio. It may have been driven by Dale Evans , the owners son. Ed Shartman is alive and well. He owns Great Northern Dodge on Clevelands' west side

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
As noted: "Ed Shartman is alive and well. He owns Great Northern Dodge on Clevelands' west side"

Not too far from Thompson, Ohio, where the Fred Totten Memorial is held. Someone should contact him and invite him next June 2012 :). I grew up in the SW suburbs of Cleveland, not far from Jack Shaw Chevrolet. I think my Dad's 1962 convertible was from that dealer. I recall the moniker "Fast Eddie" from back in the day!

Cheers,
TomK