63 Rearend Gears

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Been looking for a posi to swap out my 3:36 gears, talking to a long lost buddy that said he had 1 from his 59 Chevy truck. Will these inter change he was saying his rear had a rear 10 bolt rear cover on it ,so before I grab it was wanting to know if it will swap or not?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't think the truck rear end is the same as the passenger car. So my answer would be no. Ask anyone here, if I'm wrong it would absolutely be the very first time, lol.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Well aren't you some sorry apples , I kinda figured as well but never saw the rearend just didn't want to make a 80 mile trip for nothing.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The truck axles are held in with C clips I think. The passenger car as we know are held in with a retainer at the backing plate. (See I knew I was right). :dance

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Axle spline count is also different from passenger car, it's not gonna work. Anyway, stock car rears don't have 10 bolts on the cover, heck! They don't even have covers. I think the lowest numerical gears for the truck that year were 3.38.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Yeah we were just brain storming today , that's what threw me off was he said he had a rear cover on his. OH WELL WISHFUL THINKING:facepalm Thanks for the help

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think the truck rears in 59 looked the same as a car rear from behind, I think they we're drop out pigs too. If his has a cover maybe someone changed it to a late model rear end. Wait, I'm contradicting myself, you can't have C clip axles and a drop out pig. I think we need someone other than me to explain this :crazy

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know the pictures I've seen of the '57 Black Widow cars were said to have rearends pulled from new trucks. They have a rear cover. Not sure what all else is different about the rearends, but if the chunks interchanged then I don't see why Chevy would have swapped in the whole rears.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The Black Widow's had 6 bolt wheels like the pickups.

1957150BlackWidow-vi.jpg

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Someone had downloaded the Black Widow conversion manual on line many years ago and I remember reading about using the 6 lug front truck hubs. Had all the info needed for the roll cage mounting and gas tank straps, etc. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited: