64 425 horse oil fill tube position

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Anyone got a good pic so I can properly position the oil fill tube on my engine ? Or tell me what clock position the hose nipple should be pointing. Thanks.:cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe mpris owns a 64-425hp that he bought new.( lucky and smart man). Im sure if you pm him he will forward a pic. to you.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your right Ronnie, I do have a picture of mine and I believe it is in the correct position.

Poocho

Attachments

• 64 Oil Fill Tube.jpg
    64 Oil Fill Tube.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 82

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
EB9 mounting

Can anybody post a pic of a 62 EB9 transmitter in the correct mounting position and tell me what kind of mounting screws are used? If I'm going to mount it under hood, it might as well be correct. I used my air powered needle scaler yesterday to remove all the loose rust and paint and undercoating in the engine bay. That tool is outstanding. I can't beleive how much time and effort it saved me. Got most of it painted and will just be cleaning up the wiring from the old SBC in preperation for the W.

THANKS

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Models

i have seen these things mounted all over the place and with differant screws. here are the measurements on the originals i have. from the firewall to the first hole is 12 3/4" and from the a-frame dustsheild opening up is 5" on the back hole and 4 3/4" on the front hole. they are mounted with 1/4-20 steel hex head screws. they are both St.Louis built cars.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
store in Dundee

They also have a retail store in Dundee, IL on Dundee Rd. near RT 53.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have no knowledge of the '62's but I would think they were probably the same as the '61's. My 61SS has the factory tach and the sending unit is mounted in it's original location using the original screws. Perhaps this will help.

Attachments

• tach sending unit location.jpg
    tach sending unit location.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 60
  • tach sending unit mounting screw.jpg
    tach sending unit mounting screw.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 45

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
thanks all

That's the way I will mount it. Good detail on the screw heads. Thanks

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tommy, your bolt heads look the same as mine. they don't look as nice as yours, cars haven't been restored. maybe someday!

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
:scratch
If there' "bolts', do they have a nut under them? Original fender wells I've seen were pulled from sheet metal screws.:scratch

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Chev601234

Hey, you're right, they are sheet metal screws. i guess i have been looking at the ones i have on the shelf too long. some of them have 1/4-20 bolts in them and i now can see the bolt and nut is not correct.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"If there' "bolts', do they have a nut under them? Original fender wells I've seen were pulled from sheet metal screws."

Chev601234,
They are not bolts, they are hex head course thread screws. The threads look kinda like a lag screw. In other words, there's no nut on the other side.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Models916,
I'm not sure how we got from oil filler tubes to tachs but while we're on the subject of how the tachs were mounted, I have a question for you. What type screw do you plan to use to mount the tach to the steering column? I've seen this debated on other forums but not here.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hmmmmmm?

Haven't thought that far yet. My AutoMeter is mounted with a large hose clamp on the right. Better post me a pic of the way the Sun was mounted. My 62 is no where near being correct about how the factory did it, but still nice to be accurate when possible.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm at work now, I can post a picture when I get home tonight. I don't think the '62 used the same screws as my '61. Wonder does anyone have pictures of an original '62 tach mounted on the column? Just curious.