'64 Bel Air on Hemmings

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Hemmings add states 400 HP. Wouldn't that have an AFB and dual duckbill air cleaner? Also not familiar with 64's, but is that a 409 fan shroud? Going by pics it does look close to a "reconditioned original" that SC has on their site.
Jeff

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know that it came with side trim. Just pointing out how the seller was being disingenuous. I asked him the question on Hemmings.. Also comes with a 3 speed auto just like it was fresh from the showroom.
the Belair my wife drove had side trim. It still a sharp car.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That 64 Belair has a bunch of not matching factory items

As already stated here - all fender, door and rear 1/4 Belair trim has been removed from 1611 Belair body from cowl tag
no factory air 400 HP 409s in 63 and 64 -only 340 HP 409s came with factory air -although it looks like it has a 340 HP 409 air cleaner
400 HP 409s came with dual snorkel air cleaner (duckbill air cleaner as noted above)
Also as stated here 400 HP came with Carter AFB carb with fuel line & return line that enters the drivers side rear of the carb
plus powerglide 409s only factory installed on 340 HP motors (no 400 Turbo automatics with any 64 Chevrolets)
no factory indicator on steering column for 400 Turbo in 1964
Engine has 63 409 valve covers (not the correct 64 409 valve covers with that come with plastic wire spark plug wire holders)
Cowl tag factory trim (863) and paint (920) are for a fawn interior and almond fawn exterior (not blue)

lots of significant changes from factory and wrong 400 HP 409 items that are claimed
Nice car but why twist the facts.
cowl tag ACC decode is needed

Paul

Temp2c

Very nice car! The detail on the suspension is excellent. This is the perfect car for the guy who wants one to drive to car shows with the family but doesn't have the time to build one. It has updates to make it a better driver and give the driver a confident feeling. I've owned them and remember the drum brakes pulling while doing the Chevy shimmy.. Disc brakes, TH-400, heavy duty updated suspension. The control arms are all perfectly level, I'll bet you can confidently cruise at 100 M.P.H. with one hand on the wheel..

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This engine appears to be a 340 horse.4GC carb.,cast irrion intake,340 horse air cleaner.The carb has been converted to elec.choke.It may be more ''correct'' than we thought.