64 dash options/pics

64SS327

Does anyone have any info on or pics of where ash tray(s) go under dash? I believe they were dealer add-ons. I had an 8-track mounted under dash and think trays were removed for it. image.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
All the ashtrays that I can remember from cars of that period,and I've owned a 64 Impala,64 Chevy 2,and a 66 Nova,had the ashtrays in the dash,not under it.There may have been some add on types around,just dont remember seeing them.At that time in history,most people in America smoked,the automobile manufactures installed them as standard equippment,even on the base models.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe the accessory ashtray which could be ordered with the car and or dealer installed under the dash may have been used with air conditioned cars.These were interior colored ash trays as to dash color.The air condition outlet was directly above the normal ashtray ,thus this could cause ashes being blown all over the car when using the original ashtray with the air on..I have 1 at home that is red,which came with a bunch of 63-64 parts that I bought years ago from 2 totaled cars..Those ash trays were not vacuum operated,believe it mounts directly under the dash by radio and original ashtray. .

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I believe the accessory ashtray which could be ordered with the car and or dealer installed under the dash may have been used with air conditioned cars.These were interior colored ash trays as to dash color.The air condition outlet was directly above the normal ashtray ,thus this could cause ashes being blown all over the car when using the original ashtray with the air on..I have 1 at home that is red,which came with a bunch of 63-64 parts that I bought years ago from 2 totaled cars..Those ash trays were not vacuum operated,believe it mounts directly under the dash by radio and original ashtray. .
My pal has a '64 Impala SS with air that has the ash tray under the dash. We always thought they were original equipment though. Leo

64SS327

I remember seeing one at a car show that had one also. I crawled under dash and saw the shadow marks of where one was and also the holes lined up to the chrome handled one in my pic above. Not sure if the other one goes on the car even though its labeled from prior owner that it does. Thanks again for all your responses.