64 gas gauge in a 63??

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does anyone know of the 63 and 64 gas gauges are the same? The part number for the 64 is #5644869. The gauge in my 63 always reads full and I know its the gauge thats not right. Any help would be great.
Ross

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Impala before you go pulling that off check the ground by the gastank and everything when you unplug the gauges on the 63 year models the gauge goes to full. thats how mine was when i pulled the tank to clean it out and put a new float and sock on the assembly. once i hooked everything up and turned the key to on after sanding the ground point down some the gauage droped down to empty. I would check the ground and power wire to the sending unit before i go yanking the gauge out. might be as simple as a rusty ground.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help guys!! 63BA, my ground is OK. That was one of the first things I checked. My gas gauge was working last year and I had to pull the dash cluster out to fix my speedo needle and when I put the gauges back in the gas gauge was acting a little funny. It would kinda jump arround then it would go to full. Then I would tap the dash and it would go back down for a second or two and then go back to full. I've tried messing with the plug in the back but that doesn't seem to do anything. Last summer it was working acurately for about 2 weeks and then it went back to full. Has anyone ran into this before?
Ross

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I havent runned into that. im tring to figure out where i can find a kit to rebuild the clock in mine. i was lucky enough to find a plug and block off plate out of another 63 so i could make it look halfways decent till i could figure out what to do with the old clock to get it to work again. i found a place but i would rather do the work myself. be cheaper.