64 impala build sheet

dand

my son and i recently purchased a 64 impala ss, wich supposedly had a 409 4 speed in it which is no longer there. it's pretty rough but definately restorable. the "409" on the fenders is not there anymore but you can read where the paint faded around them. we found the build sheet under the seat ,in pretty rough shape, but the engine code says "RB". i dont know what this means on the build sheet, but when i check "RB" under engine suffix codes it says 327/300 horse, but thats listed as 1962 model year. I'm hoping chevrolet screwed up and its suppose to be "QB" (425 horse), any help sure would be appreciated .
thanks

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
RB was also used in 64, too for the 300hp 327. Does your car have the 7000 rpm tach? 400 and 425 (QA and QB) had this tach. 340hp (QC) and both 327s had the 6000 rpm unit.
You might also want to check if you car has a return fuel line. It will be clipped to your main fuel line. If your 64 doesn't have an engine, you can follow the fuel line down to about where it's even with the firewall. You might find a smaller line clipped to the feed line. All 409s (340-425hp) had the return line.
There are other ways to check. Do a search here and you should find a thread full of how to tell a 409 car. Best of luck!!!
Ross

dand

thanks for the info guys i'll check that stuff out. i'll be pretty bummed if it wasn't a 409 car:cry tach is also missing so i dont know the rpm's

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dand,

Curious what seat you found the build sheet under?

Can you post a picture of it?

Even though it's not a 409 a build sheet is a good find.

Good luck with your car.

Mike

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
LI...my sheet was under the rear seatbottom cushion drivers side...in fact I put my hand up and felt it immediately..when I stuck my head down by the carpet I actually could see a portion of it...it was between the cushion and the springs..most of it was stuck in there pretty good.

dand

thats exactly where i found mine too. it was intertwined in the springs pretty good so it was hard to get out because it was very delicate, in fact some of it is missing, sorry i'm not really able to post a picture of it at this time. I just wish it said something different than what it says. I was really under the impression it was a "409" car, it's still worth it though.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have fould 3 build sheets in my 64ss. The latest was found glued to the left rear armrest. Enclosed are photos of where it was found.

Poocho

Attachments

• BuildSheetLRArmrest.jpg
    BuildSheetLRArmrest.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
  • BuildSheetArmrest.jpg
    BuildSheetArmrest.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 75

dand

I guess different factories used different build sheets cause thats different from mine to. I hope i find another one in better shape , i didn't know they would put more than one in the car.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have taken out the rear cushion, backrest, and both side panels and can't find a build sheet. I don't know where they hid it. Maybe the car didn't get one.:dunno
Ron