64 Impala Shifter

Skidder

:doh I have a 64 Impala bench seat car with factory 4 speed. Its has a hurst shifter now.I want to put the original shifter back in. But not sure what to look for at the swap meets. When I am trying to fing one. I think there different from the SS impalas and chevelles. Can some send me a pic of one or the dimensions.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The only difference is the shifter handle and ball..the actual linkage body and rods I "think" are the same .The ball is a white ball with a pattern..I just saw an NOS one go for well over 200 bucks on EBay...I wish I had pics of the whole setup for you but I don't...do a search for Muncie Linkage on ebay and see what flushes out...shifter handle has a large bend in it to clear the bench seat and of course it has the reverse lockout finger pull ups.

Skidder

:eek: I think the handle dimensions are were I am having trouble with. Someone said the handle for the bench seat is bent different then the bucket seats. I was told the lenght is also different the the chevelles how much I don't know.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The shifter mech that you need bolts directly to the trans. I believe that the rods are the same as a 64-67 chevelle. 65-67 Impala are different (longer and shifter uses a mounting plate) and the novas are much shorter and have a different mech. The handle that you need is pictured below. Best of luck!
Ross

Attachments

• 64 Impala bench seat shifter.jpg
    64 Impala bench seat shifter.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 38

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is a scan from the parts book. If it is not clear enough, I can try email. The shifter on the SS is almost straight and has a chrome ball. This page happens to be the bench seat shifter. Hope this helps.
Ron