64 Impala SS wire under console

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Pulling the console to work on the shifter and there was a black/orange strip wire under the console from one of the plugs cut,otehr wires go to light at the back.I could not find the other end of it anywhere. Any ideas-where to get a wiring diagram?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Shop manual's on e Bay . I have main and supplement for 63 very handy for many other thing's.You can Google on line ,,,1964 impala ss wiring diagram.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don is right my 62 shop manual has electrical diagrams in the electrical section.
My 62 and 63 consoles have two wires (orange and white wires) running to a junction switch with 2 connections behind the drivers side kick panel.
Paul

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Yes, Roger and Skip: The console has a 3 wire connector coming off of it. One wire goes to the square light, in the rear of the console, that lights up, the back seat area. The other wire, comes from the light, on the inside of the console, with the button, that turns the light on, when you open the door. This connector, connects, to another one, that lays on the floor under the console, and has a ground wire on it, that screws to one of the console brackets, then goes to the front of the dash board area, under the carpet, and connects to the courtesy lights. Hope this helps.:clap

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes, Roger. The console has a 3 wire connector coming off of it. One wire goes to the square light, in the rear of the console, that lights up, the back seat area. The other wire, comes from the light, on the inside of the console, with the button, that turns the light on, when you open the door. This connector, connects, to another one, that lays on the floor under the console, and has a ground wire on it, that screws to one of the console brackets, then goes to the front of the dash board area, under the carpet, and connects to the courtesy lights. Hope this helps.:clap
I was thinking 64 was different than 63 in that wiring area as someone else a while back had that problem.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks I'll have the look for the rest of the wires to see if they are there. Most of the wires there look almost new!

Had to pull the console to get rid of the old musty, rat pee smelling carpet!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Here are pictures of the console and plug. You can see the cut wire. There is not a bulb in the socket for the one that lights the console when opened and a possible terminal to the top of the picture where maybe a wire went?DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Skip: Yes, that broken wire, goes to the switch button. There's 2 wires on it. That floor looks like a perfect project for POR 15 or Rust Encapsulator.:)

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks on the wire. Kind of cheesy lighting- the bulb is just outside a hole in the console pocket not into the pocket

Kind of what I was thinking on the floor. As minor as it is a whole cut out/weld in floorboard seems extreme.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
How long is that wire? I can't tell if it just broke off the terminal at the socket -it is 8 1/4".

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I tried to take the switch and light, out of the console, but I was afraid I would break it. :dohIt is around 8 1/4".