64 impala ss

4kops

Sorry not real up on the 64's my brother in law has one and he passed away I know hte car is a reall SS by the vin where do I find the trim tag and numbers on the engine to see if it is th orginal engine probably going to end up selling it.

bobs409

Administrator
You could check the front stamping pad located on the front of the engine just under the passenger side head. On high performance engines, part of the VIN is stamped there. That's what is known as a "numbers matching" car.

They didn't stamp the low horse motors like 283's however. To tell if it's an original without the VIN stamp, your basically looking at comparing build date codes.

Parts like the block, heads, intake, etc will all have a cast date. This date needs to pre-date the cars build date (located on the cowl tag) by about 2 weeks roughly. Naturally if these dates are "after" the car was built, that will tell you they couldn't be original. Or if there is a large difference, it also can indicate not original to the car.

The cowl tag is located on the top of the cowl near the passenger side hood hinge.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
They didn't stamp the low horse motors like 283's however.
I don't know when they started stamping all vins on the stamp pad, but the 283 I pulled from my 64 Biscayne was stamped with the partial vin and it matched the door post. So yours may have it.

I bought a complete 340 engine many years ago, don't know what car it came from. Block is cast 3844422, assembly date of T1001QC, but no vin stamped on the pad. I don't know how this missed getting stamped.:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
I heard it was 1968 when all engines started getting the stamp. It was for theft reasons I think.

bg64ss409

I bought a complete 340 engine many years ago, don't know what car it came from. Block is cast 3844422, assembly date of T1001QC, but no vin stamped on the pad. I don't know how this missed getting stamped.:dunno

My 409/340 has no vin on it, I assume because it is a Canadian car/engine (well documented), maybe your is too....

Brett

4kops

Well the vin tells me it is a 64 impala ss 2 door sorts coupe v-8 built in souhgate ca trim code is 856 and paint code is TT the car is king of gold in color it has bucet seats with floor shifter and console what it is worth? just not up on the 64 I did a 62 bubbletop that I sold and now doing a 57 2 door sedan with a art morrison chassis and a twin turbo 572 but the 64 just isn't me s I need to sell it for the mother in law