'65 4GV setup

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Show Cars have three types of filler cap. Only one has the dimple, but that is not the one in the pic someone posted above that looks like it is matt chrome on top, no dimple. I have the throttle return spring ID'd, thanks also for that. Need to get the location for the 340hp decal on the air cleaner lid correct. Seems the correct orientation for the schnorkel tube is to the right (from inside), ie, the passenger side. Hence the decal should face front in that orientation. I have seen it both ways, but it just clears the aircon compressor when oriented to the right. If it is positioned pointing left it is close to the alternator, but it clears in either case.

Another glitch: I can't figure how to remove the broken radio antenna. Does it come out there the RHS kick panel? I don't want to have to remove the RH fender if avoidable. I need also to take out the instrument panel, AM radio and aircon/heater controls as some of it doesn't work. The aircon/heater controls seem to be vacuum operated with a vacuum tank underhood on the firewall, correct? It has 2-sp screen wiper/washers that look to be all electric: wipers work but washers don't work. Rear window defogger doesn't work, but it's not cold enough here for it to matter.

Back to topic: the 4GC (got it right this time) is being rebuilt, and taking it off I noticed a few odd things that will be put right. The hold-down nuts have no washers. My carb expert told me that is correct (he knows W-blocks), but it doesn't make sense to me, carb body metal being comparatively soft. Also, I can't see what value the dashpot is in a mild climate. It is just clamped under one hold down nut and looks like an afterthought. I cannot see why I shouldn't just leave it off. Carb still has date tag.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If I remember correctly, the antenna is removed from the outside of the car once the nut is removed. There is a pivoting bracket that is on the end of the antenna base that goes through the fender hole and pivots sideways and straddles the hole. The dashpot is there to keep the idle from dropping too fast when you let off on the throttle, especially when the a/c is on. This may or may not be correct, as my memory sucks. Others that know or remember more than I will correct me. :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You have additional linkage on the carb that I don't have, possibly kick down linkage for a glide? If so that dashpot may be there to bump up the idle when dropped into drive.
The 340 in my 64 came with a chrome oil cap with the dimple. So did my 65 400 hp JA engine that I put in my 58 Viking.
No washers on the carb mount bolts that I've seen.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
4GC is back on the motor with four washers under the nuts and it went together nicely. I note the throttle body is cast iron, not soft metal, but it all goes together better with washers. Lets see what GM saved, about 1m cars almost all with 4 carb bolts makes that 4m or so washers at 1c each is around $40,000, right? Compared to what GM lost by not funding their pension scheme ....