65-? Frames

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I picked up a 66 Impala hardtop a couple weeks ago but the frame is rusted off. What frames will fit this car? I looked under 67s-70s and all look the same. Is this right? Just want to know what I'm looking for. These must have really been a poor design for northern climates! Out of 7 I looked at, Only one was still solid! NUT

bobs409

Administrator
Aaron,

My book shows only 65-66 share the same part number. This does not include convertibles which have a different number from the 2 & 4 doors.

BTW, welcome to the '66 Impala club! I recently got one too. Thankfully, my frame is good. (and don't get no ideas from that!) :D

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey nut, look in the wanted post under 66 convert frame wanted, he has a 65 HT frame and was looking for a convert frame. He was going to check out a place I gave him for the convert frame, maybe he'd sell his HT frame.

Ray

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys!

Makes since that 65 and 66 would be the same. Must be some subtle differences on the newer frames. :dunno I know a lot of guys like the 62s and 65s best but I like 64s and 66s. I'd like to have an SS in both years. I'd also like a million dollars and world peace :hug :D NUT

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Aaron & Bob,
Why don't you guys check out the 65-66 Full Size Chevrolet Club. I used to be a member of this club back when I had my 66 Impala, good bunch of guys and a great source for parts and information. They have a web site not sure of the address but it shouldn't be any problem to find.

M

MK IISS

Aaron: Before I moved to Florida I lived in the "Salt Belt" up North. The frames in 1965 Chevrolets starting failing as early as 1969 due to corrosion. The mid-year '65 Caprice was supposed to have a stronger frame but I don't know if that's true. The '66 was supposed to have a stronger frame also but I started seeing them in salvage yards with broken frames in the mid 70s.

bobs409

Administrator
I've seen many of the X frame cars with their frame broken over the rear axle but never heard of the 65-66's having any problems. I almost bought a '63 that shortly later the frame broke on. It ended up being sold to a young guy that cut the back half off and used it as a bush buggy.

I've also heard from many about the 73-77 or so GM cars having rust out issues. The metal in those years must not have been too good. The trucks came from the factory with rust I think. I had a '77 Chevy truck and I couldn't keep up with the rust/rot! I stick with the 72 and older now. ;)

bobs409

Administrator
I remember that Yahoo group! I used to go there all the time. Will have to check it out again.

Now....what was my password from 7 years ago? :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man,,,,, I don`t understand how anyone could let the local government salt the roads to KILL their cars !!!!

After last winters storm her there was short talk about salting the roads and the uproar even from the government poeple was loud enough to hear back east !!!

THNK GAWD !!!!! ,,dq

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
The 65-70 Full size chevrolets are Notorius for having rusted out frames,
at least up here they are. actually have never heard of the X frames rusting out.
Totally opposite of Bob.
:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
For the past 4+ years it's gotten worse around here. They used to put down cinders that had salt mixed in when it started to snow but now they use the liquid stuff. They put this stuff down at the mere mention of snow. So now, you have salt on the roads 2 days before the snow gets there! You should see what happens when you accidentally get behind one of these trucks when they are spraying it down! White wheel wells!!!

Now a days, it doesn't matter much about salt though. The good cars don't come out in this anymore so let the mini vans and SUV's bathe in it! :D Throw away junk anyway... ;)

M

MK IISS

Bob: My Uncle (Dealer) sold out in '65 and I got away from Chevrolets for awhile so I don't know all the details. I can remember walking back to work from my lunch hour on two different occasions and heard a loud BANG!. The frames had broken underneath the engines and they hit the pavement. The 396 cars were more prone to do this because of the extra weight. It wasn't the motor mounts, the frame broke. It was a shame to see so many otherwise nice 396 '65 Impalas in the junk yards. On the good side there were quite a few good used 396 engines available. There was a period of time in the '70s when the auto manufacturers were experimenting with a mixture of salvaged and new steel. A co-worker of mine had a new Ford Country Squire wagon which rusted out in the spare tire well area the first winter. In Michigan and Canada, I think, there were consumer groups with the aid of attnys. who formed corporations called THE RUSTY FORDS OF MICHIGAN or something to that effect. I don't know about GM but I know Ford had several lawsuits filed against them.

bobs409

Administrator
Wow! I never heard of engines falling out before. :eek: I never heard of front frames going at all before this, around here it would be the rear but from age/rust. Usually, the fronts are gunked up with oil/crude which protects them forever.

I remember when I had my '66 Chevelle aligned, the shop owner told me that the frames on the big block cars would often be tweaked/bent from the weight and torque. (this guy really knows his stuff too so I don't doubt him-he's the best in the business in my area)

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just come to Indiana, I've seen about three rusted out X frames.

My wife drove a Corvair when she was a teen--once engine just fell out on the highway. :roll But that's easy to see how it could happen.

SteveD

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Factory rust

I grew up (if you can call the first 26 years of my life "growing up") in Cleveland, Ohio where they had plenty of salt and quite a bit of snow. We used to joke that newer cars with corrosion had "facory rust". Turns out to be almost too true. My first car was a 1961 Bel Air, purchased in 1967, and I had to do quite a bit of body work to get it to be all one color :)

Here in the Midwest (Missouri) we still get some snow, but around here they use cinders, a by product of the local city-owned utility company. Dirty, but not as corrosive.

Cheers!
TomK

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Nut, When your looking for a new frame don't forget the other GMs (B-O-P) shared the same parts.