65 Impala: 4spd CONSOLE shifter vs NON-CONSOLE shifter

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
I'm working on a customer's '65 Impala (Factory 396, floor shift automatic with console) and he has me converting it to a 4spd car. He has provided the correct 4spd console, but we still need a shifter. Can anyone tell me exactly how to identify the correct shifter for use with a console? From what I understand they are not the same as non-cosole shifters.

I'll be heading to Hershey, PA for the swap meet this week and would like to know what I am looking at if I am lucky enough to find the right parts. Any descriptions or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Daran
(60Impala4dad)

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Daran
I went thru this when working on my 66 and previously a 65.
I have a page from the 65-66 Chevy club describing these shifters...:brow

Its bigger (243kb) than the allowed 100 kb........:doh
but if you send me your email I'll send it out to you.
ps - if some one else knows how to get this on the site for
others to ref, I'll send it to you as well.........:beer

:cheers
bj

blkss64

Well Known Member
I have a friend that has one or two of these shifters. I think they are correct for a 65 impala.
He has one of them on e-bay right now(shifter body only). He has at least one complete shifter with rods and arms and a shifter handle. The handle may not be 65 Impala, not sure. Here is the link to shifter body he has for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-67-64-65...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564d05e1d6
Paul

You can buy these shifters new. They are reproduced and have been for a while. Classic Industries carries them. The same basic shifter body was used from 64-67 in full-size cars, chevelles and chevy 2's. The shift handle and linkage is what was different. I think the most shift handles for bench seat cars look like the shifter in the picture above. The console style shifter was for the most part straight to clear the opening of the console. Hope this helps. Jon

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Thanks everyone for the help. I saw that Hurst was selling shifters for this car new, but they didn't have one listed for a car with a console. After looking at the pics I can see that it would have to be straight, at least for a while, in order to clear the console. Classic industries carries the linkage and the shifter arm, but not the shifter itself. Thanks again everyone for the quick responses. Daran

blkss64

Well Known Member
Classic Industries does have all of the parts. Her is the list with part numbers and prices:
1) Shift mechanism- part number A512 $139.99
2) Shift handle- w/console part # A513E $79.95
3) Shift linkage- muncie part# C598924
4) Shift ball - chrome part# A514

I think the boot and boot ring are being reproduced. Hope this helps. Jon

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Thanks Jon. I don't know how I missed that on the shift mechanism. Perfect.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. This is another great response with help from this site. Its been a while for me being on here, but my move to PA is complete and I'm back up and running again. After this customer car, I'll be closing the doors and bbe ack on my dad's '60 Impala restoration until completion. More updates on that (and this 65) as time goes on.
Daran

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You could try my friend on the shifter, his name is Bill Van Pelt (the one on e-bay ) Phone 605-362-7243. I know he has a complete original shifter with all the rods and arms. He normally has fair prices on his parts, I buy 62 stuff from him. He did alot of research on what the shifters are for that he has. He has shifter bodys and arms not sure how much he has.
He has handles but I think they are chevelle handles not sure.
Paul