66 Impala Prepping Engine Well - Any Advice?

So here we go again, back to work on Elizabeth.

My plan is to pressure wash the engine well and then sand rust, prime and paint black with engine enamel, but not bring down to bare metal. The objective is to get it good enough to drop in the 5.0 engine. This is my first resto, so I'll take any advice... Thanks.

bobs409

Administrator
Power washing would be an acceptable first step but first, use a scraper to get any heavy gunk off.

Any stubborn heavy grease left behind after power washing I would spray with brake cleaner and hit it with a wire wheel on a drill. Prior to painting anything, I like to go over parts with brake cleaner and paper towels to remove any oils that can make the new paint fish eye. For any rusty areas, get a spray can of Etch primer, stuff works great to keep the rust away. Then just top coat with the black of your choice.

In your other post you mentioned using engine enamel but that would not be needed for the compartment. I suggest NOT using gloss black. This would be a personal thing with me but I never cared for engine compartments done that way, they always look too amature. (just a personal thing)

There are a few different choices for paint but to keep it simple, I suggest semi flat Krylon. It's easy to find and at a low cost. It also touches up very well since you'll be driving this car. Other choices could be products from Eastwood, POR, Rustoleum, etc. Everyone has their favorites so you may get other sugggestions there.

Now depending on what your after, I like to use a few different colors to set things off. Parts like the hood hinges, striker plate, master cylinder, steering box and some steering components look good when done in a gray (phosphate look) or cast iron gray.

Here's a before and after shot of the 327 in my Impala. The before shot already had the air cleaner sand blasted, primed and painted so disregard that. (that's the Krylon by the way)

enginebefore.jpg
engineafter2.jpg

Excellent advice! I agree with your personal opinions. Right now I'm taking off all the peripherals, snapping pix as I go so I know how to put everything back together. Complements to the person who invented the digital camera. Cold out there...:cry
th_HPIM0890.jpg
th_HPIM0889.jpg
th_HPIM0902.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Oh yeh, it's a cruiser. :D

Looks like mist blue metallic to me. My 66 Chevelle SS is that color originally.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As Bob said scrape off any dirt or sludge first. Then I would recommend a biodegradable degreaser and a scrub/wire brush prior to pressure washing. Also I would recommend that you hook your pressure washer to the hot water. I use a product here called Heavy Hitter. Don't know if it would be available in your area but I would bet there is something similar. It eats grease and oil like crazy and I buy it at a local boat supply that uses it for bilge cleaner. It comes in a gallon container and the cost is about 15.00. Pretty cheap and goes a long way. As Bob said do not use a gloss paint but rather a satin. Rust-Oleim paint is a good product and is cheap. Here are few items painted with it.
Headlight Buckets Fillers Latch Painted 2.jpg

Cool. You beat me to the biodegradable question. Thanks. Rustoleum is a favorite of mine. I need to swing by the boat store anyway to get supplies for an old aluminum row boat that needs repairs. The 88 Volvo in the background is my wife's project - which really means another project for me. :deal What kind of gloves do y'all use? I can handle bleeding, but it slows me down b/c it makes everything slippery.:cry

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool. You beat me to the biodegradable question. Thanks. Rustoleum is a favorite of mine. I need to swing by the boat store anyway to get supplies for an old aluminum row boat that needs repairs. The 88 Volvo in the background is my wife's project - which really means another project for me. :deal What kind of gloves do y'all use? I can handle bleeding, but it slows me down b/c it makes everything slippery.:cry
Just buy the vinyl or latex by the box.