67-72 chevy truck cab corners???

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Working on a 70 cab. It arrived here with all the sheetmetal already purchased from lmc truck in kansas city. Already done the outer floor, inner/ outer rockers. All has fit well until I got to the cab corner. The corner seems to be to long. When I line it up with the door jamb, It hang past the back of the cab? Leaves about a 1/2" gap along the back of the cab. (doesnt fit worth a crap) The guy Im doing the work for said to just push it up to weld it. The bed will hide it. I cant bring myself to do it like that with out checking with others to see if anyone else has had this problem. To fix it I will have to cut a vertical 1/2" piece out of the side (most visible area). Then re weld it back together. I can do that but then it leaves a seam right in the corner that is very visible.:dunno What do you guys think.

Attachments

• PICT3928.jpg
    PICT3928.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 96
  • PICT3930.jpg
    PICT3930.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 82

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If it were me I would cut it so it fits right. I think you'll have a heckuva time trying to get that corner to look right if you don't do something now. Can you massage the door jamb area? Meaning, can you cut the flange off, move the cab corner forward and then re-bend the flange for the jamb area? That might be easier than trying to section a piece out of it and rewelding the patch back together.

I've fought aftermarket patch panels before. You usually have to plan that there will be some sort of re-work on them before you weld them in place.

Best of luck!!

Ross

bobs409

Administrator
I replaced 3 of these on both my trucks and did not have that problem. I didn't buy from LMC but the corners were the black foreign jobs so probably the same manufacturer.

Somebody must have goofed when that one was made. :eek:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've always had good panels from LMC.

Sounds like your going to have to section that piece to get a good fit.

When I do work for others, it's "time & materials".

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I agree with all. Looks like a sectioning is in my future. Hate to get to deep in this thing. I bid it pretty cheap, But thats how you learn and figure this stuff out. I love to do the metal work. So its fun and I make a little money. (a little on this one:cuss) great to go hang out in the garage and work on old iron. and impalaguru if I cut the flange off, it is curved. I cant break a curve. Could do it by hand but probably wouldnt look so hot.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Did get it put in today. Welded most of it from the inside then made a patch for the floor. Looks so much better. Never would have worked like it was. Only part i dont like is where the very bottom of the rocker/ corner meet there is a little gap where it looks like the corner was off when made. A little seam sealer and it should be fine.

Attachments

• PICT3966.jpg
    PICT3966.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64
  • PICT3967.jpg
    PICT3967.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 72
  • PICT3971.jpg
    PICT3971.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT3978.jpg
    PICT3978.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 75

bobs409

Administrator
Hire you? For money? I didn't say that. :p :roll

Hey bubbletop, did you ever use the full door skins for these trucks? I hope they are good, I ordered 2 sets for both my trucks!

Bob

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Hey bubbletop, did you ever use the full door skins for these trucks? I hope they are good, I ordered 2 sets for both my trucks!

Bob

The cab and doors arrived with the #38-6400/38-6401 outer door skins. Definitely not the whole door. Will leave a seam horizontally right in a high visibility area. Not sure how high I will cut it. Just a quick look, I might be able to hide the seam behind the upper chrome strip.

Got started on the driver side today. Ran in to some shady repairs at one time. The bottom of the door post where the door bolts on is bent a little. Looks like the metal was torn and they just filled up the bottom section of the post with bondo then covered the tear with bondo. then it rusted. Will have to get that piece before I go much further.

Attachments

• PICT3984.jpg
    PICT3984.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 65
  • PICT3985.jpg
    PICT3985.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54

bobs409

Administrator
Sounds like you only got the lower patch panels. I tried one of those once and it didn't work out too well. Once I cut the bottom of the door skin off, what was left bowed inward. I believe it was the door that was at fault, not the patch panel. Even after slowly welding the new piece in, the panel was still bowed. Took ALOT of filler in the end. That door has been scrapped a long time ago. :grumble:

The ones I am getting are the whole skin right up to the window. Will install as factory. They are only $84.95 each. I've seen them as low as $70 but that's without shipping.

Bob