690 date code ID

I am new here, still learning how to get more than one picture loaded. The casting # is 3814690. GM2 is under that. Can anyone tell me when these were cast? I thought there are supposed to be three digits. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 45

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does the other head match this one? Also, just click on the little scenery box next to the smiley face after you post your first picture and keep adding them that way. No sense in adding a link to a photo, mainly because the link might be killed later and no one will see the images after a link has been disabled.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trent,
Cast 40th day of the year, see the chart on the site. By looking at the bolt hole these might be some nice builders. They don't appear to have been off & on 20 times.
Jeff

Thanks everybody, I have to dig out the other one tomorrow. I figured they were 64 and hade been changed before. The bottom end is all standard. The block stamp # says 340 horse from 65. I was really lucky to find this motor and am thankfull for that. The valves and guides are in really nice shape. The guides are only belled .001 at .373 in the middle and .374 on the ends so they will clean up at .375 to .376 . Im hoping SI valve out in cali makes .003 over stems for stock length 409 valves and they mike out at .375 or bigger. Do yall use positive stem seals? It seems kind of wrong to cut the guide bosses down on heads this nice for the .530 vitons. Maybe the umbrella type. I don’t know if those work. Seems like should have some type so it don’t blow any smoke. Also wonder about needing longer valve stems? The one intake that I checked has 1.735 installed height. I think around 5500 rpm is enough for me. Do you guys think I can keep the valve geometry stock and still have a nice motor? Maybe kind of limited on valve springs and cam lift though.

you are probably right. They have been running stainless on bronze for a long time. The SI valves are stainless. Probably a
coin toss on using stainless on bronze vs on cast iron. Especially with the black nitrate coating. Do you think I should get
stock length stems?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like LA said, put bronze liners in and use stock replacement stainless valves. Hard exhaust seats would be in order also, for a driver. The positive seals would not be necessary if the new valves are 2 groove made for OE style o-rings and you keep the stock retainers & oil shields. If a different retainer becomes necessary positive seals may be your only option.
Jeff

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you guys were right, it’s bronze liners. SI don’t do oversized stem options anymore. The guy said those days are long gone. Kind of sad, I think I miss the old days. At least a real person answered the phone
Disclaimer: All opinions and tech help on this page are created by AI bots. We didn't want you to know you are the only person left on the planet that likes these engines. Your phone call was answered by an AI bot. Thought I was real didn't you. The joke is on you Ha Ha! Now you must die. :lamer :laugh2