8 lug wheel interchange, Dodge & Chevy?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
I'm trying to buy a 57 C3500, 1 ton Chevrolet flat-bed dump.

It will make a great car hauler for my sports cars.

It has "Split" rims, which the tire shops HATE, most will not touch them.

I also have an old Dodge motor-home I am scrapping, about a '74 I think.
It has eight lug 16.5" rims that are NOT the "split" type.

Any chance these will interchange for use on the Chevy? :dunno
If so it would save me quite a bit of $$$, not having to buy seven modern rims! :deal

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I don't know about the old ones. :dunno
I do know that todays dodge and GM 8 lug interchange.
If the wheels you have do not interchange, I would bet that a "Wanted" ad on craigslist could lead to some inexpensive wheels.

:cheers

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Richard,

I think they're the same (98% sure) but if you do that you might throw the speedometer needle out a bit. Just make sure backspacing is good on the front; not hitting the ball joint.

Same case I have, just bought a 62 one ton and I am having the same problem not sure what to do yet, BUT you could still buy those 7.00x18 tires brand new.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not sure on the older ones either but the newer ones interchange between Chevy, Dodge and Ford. Makes finding them real easy! :D

I just got a set of 4 with almost new tires on at the junkyard for $100 bucks. (got real lucky on them) They have the Dodge insignia stamped in them but fit right on my 71 C20.

Bob

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I'm not sure on the older ones either but the newer ones interchange between Chevy, Dodge and Ford.
Bob

I know the newer Fords do not interchange with Chevy and Dodge. I had custom wheels on my 2007 Ford F350 and the bolt pattern is different from my new GMC.
I do not know what years fit what.
:dunno

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From my experience at the store the early 8 lug will interchange and allow you to get rid of those splits. I would check the offset and look for any alignment pins. I have seen guys cut off the alignment pins to use rims before. If they work out I would hand torque the lugs to spec and recheck them at 25 miles,100 miles and at 1000. I found that the bud rims are a constant threat for loose lugs. Seen more than you would want to know about.