8 point roll cage

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? Our Race Cars are 1 3/4 we call it seamless but it is EWS and use DOM for bumper bars and the DOM is heavier in the same size. Now I have seen some wrecks in the last 50 years on round tracks and up to 150 into a fence/walls and T-bones and 3000 lbs or less I wpold trust to EWS. Anything after that I would go with DOM. The car is replacable but the driver is not as far as life goes.

EWS is electric -welded -seam and is not seamless. DOM drawn -over - mandrel is seamless. ews has a thicker wall than dom that may make it stronger but some people think the seam of the ews can split open.

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a mild steel cage in my 61. With bench seat and rear seat. Although no home computer to post pics. There is a link to a MySpace page at the bottom of my post. From there just click on pics. There is a whole album from when I was building the car. The cage goes from the engine compartment to the rear shock mounts. I was more worried about the car twisting than going to fast for the cage. That's why i have more than I need. If you need anymore info. Shoot me a pm. I can go into more detail about it.

Thank you , I enjoyed your pics and I think you did that car justice (back to life) that is somewhat that I had in mind.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, I've bent 1 3/4" mild steel tubing in my bender. (.134 wall)
It's a pretty good pull but it bends it just fine. I'm wondering if the thinner but harder .083 CM tubing would be harder to bend?:scratch
I'd also be going down to 1 5/8" so that would also help.

62409wagon

Well Known Member
this is what we did in the wagon, should be the same for a car. i dont have any better pics. behind the seat there is an x that ties into the frame. it also ties in the back two bars, the others are welded to a 6"x6" plate to the floor then another plate is bolted underneath. good luck. :cheers

Attachments

• cage.JPG
    cage.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 57

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
this is what we did in the wagon, should be the same for a car. i dont have any better pics. behind the seat there is an x that ties into the frame. it also ties in the back two bars, the others are welded to a 6"x6" plate to the floor then another plate is bolted underneath. good luck. :cheers

A friend of mine told me I should keep the bench seat and weld on a head rest much like you did. thanks for posting.