86 up Chevy Flywheel

JC327

Supporting Member 1
I need a used flywheel for a 86 Chevy 350. What do I look for in a flywheel? The hole is smaller that the ones I have laying around. Another one I have has the right size main hole, but the hole for the "pin" does not fit. Can someone tell me what I need? 168 teeth? Internal balance? Thanks!

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
JC327 said:
I need a used flywheel for a 86 Chevy 350. What do I look for in a flywheel? The hole is smaller that the ones I have laying around. Another one I have has the right size main hole, but the hole for the "pin" does not fit. Can someone tell me what I need? 168 teeth? Internal balance? Thanks!

As far as I know all of the 86 and newer SBC were 153 tooth. So as long as there isn't an earlier starter on it you need 153 tooth.

You already know that the bolt circle is a smaller pattern with the same size register hole.

Hays 10-530 is a 30# steel or 20-530 is aluminum. That is, if you need a good aftermarket flywheel.

If you need a stock replacement, I'd go to the parts store and get one for a 305 Camaro of a similar vintage (87-92) with a stick. I don't think they were available with a stick and a 350, but I could be wrong.

JC327

Supporting Member 1
Thanks! The parts stores here offer a standard flywheel for 86/87 V8 Camaro for about $36 ($98 core charge?). That looks like my best bet.