A 1962 Z-11???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks Like a 62

I'm certainly no expert.... Looks like a 1962 to me !!!

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yep...Looks like a 62' but I thought the "Z-11'" was only built in 1963....not 1962.

RCE1962

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Rpo Z11

I think the article is referring to the over the counter High port heads and manifold available in 62. Were not known as Z11 until the 1963 model year as an engine option. I guess guy don't know how to refer to them any othe way. Besides, Z11 sounds really COOL!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
62 Z11's were a dealer installed option, just like the 61 SS package!:deal

JUST KIDDING!:D :roll

I don't know anything about this topic but I couldn't resist the urge to stir things up.:D

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm going to throw this out there, while preparing to put my foot in my mouth! The Z-11 parts were available late in '62 to install onto 62 cars for A/FX, I believe. Top ends and aluminum front ends. I don't believe that you could order a 62 assembled with the "Z-11" parts, from the factory. I think that the 1963 Z-11 Impalas were the only "true" Z-11s. True in that they were built as a Z-11 and didn't have parts added after the fact. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ross

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Impalaguru

Do you mean the two-piece intake manifold?

Are the heads that much different than 1961-1962-1963 (690's)?

Could you get an aftermarket alum front end for the 62'?

:scratch

RCE1962

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
yes sir I believe it was jack gibbs that had one at the convention I belive the sign said 18 were made and released in august of 62 right before the us nationals. Z11 top end for the 409-409 and aluminum front ends.

M

MK IISS

The '62 alum. front clip and the the "Z11" style heads/2-piece intake were two separate service packages. Had to be ordered separately. Service packages were dealer/owner installed, not factory installed. The RPO code "Z11" did not exist until the 1963 model year. I don't believe a DOCUMENTED factory built 1962 Chevrolet with an alum. front clip and the "Z11" style head/intake combo has ever been found.

409 Chevy Performance

Well Known Member
From an article from Doug Marion, What you may not know is that on August 1, 1962 (late in the model year) Chevrolet released 18 "Sets" of aluminum front end components (Hood, outer and inner fenders) to select drag racers for match-racing and NHRA A/Factory Experimential. Also released during the same time period was a new Mark IV camshaft (#3822930) for the 380 and 409 horsepower engines. Ditto on new engine assembly 3833117 which had new cylinder heads, manifolds, camshaft (as above) and pistons. These parts, along with similar updated items for ford, chysler and Pontiac were made legal and of public knowledge in the August 13, 1962 issue of National Dragster weekly newspaper. Bill Jenkins got three complete aluminum front ends and sundry engine components. Don Nicholson got a set as did frank Sanders and others. Ultra rare stuff then so you know how rare these parts are today.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
RCE1962 said:
Impalaguru

Do you mean the two-piece intake manifold?

Are the heads that much different than 1961-1962-1963 (690's)?

Could you get an aftermarket alum front end for the 62'?

:scratch

RCE1962

Heres some help for you,,, Z11 head on right,, 690 on left,,,

76826927.jpg

More pictures on my photo site,,,dq
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5984338&uid=1590826&members=1

.:brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
Would that be your other left Jim:roll

:roll :roll :roll :roll Ding dab nabit !!!!!
That would be Z11 ON THE LEFT !!!!!!!! picky ,,,picky,,,, picky,,,,

M

MK IISS

I have been informed by a Chevrolet historian (not a former member) that I should not have used the term "service package" in my # 10 post in conjunction with the '62 alum. front clip and "Z11" style heads/intake. Perhaps a more appropriate term would have been "over the counter". I was also informed Chevrolet produced a limited number of factory built 1962 Impala Super Sports with the alum. front clip but they had standard 409/409 engines. None of the factory built '62s with the alum. front clip were BelAir Sport Coupes.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
photos

MK IISS said:
I have been informed by a Chevrolet historian (not a former member) that I should not have used the term "service package" in my # 10 post in conjunction with the '62 alum. front clip and "Z11" style heads/intake. Perhaps a more appropriate term would have been "over the counter". I was also informed Chevrolet produced a limited number of factory built 1962 Impala Super Sports with the alum. front clip but they had standard 409/409 engines. None of the factory built '62s with the alum. front clip were BelAir Sport Coupes.

Jim Jones told me he had an alumninum front *stolen* right off his car here in Fort Worth, Texas when it broke down on Lancaster on the Eastside. I thought he said it was a Biscayne, but my memory is fading. On another car at the last Super Chevy Sunday held at Green Valley Raceway (here also), he had an aluminum front end on it, though it was a built-up clone 62 Belair Sport Coupe 409 car.

I wonder if there are any vintage photos of bonafide aluminum front end(ed) cars?

What is the total number of factory cars *and* OTC aluminum front ends produced? Are there number for this?