A day with Tony Shafer & Phil Reed

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil said looking for 5.0 Mustangs, Ha with that much horsepower and torque it will be nothing but Pony road kill around his house. I'm sure that will be a fantastic car to drive if he can keep the tires hooked up. :cool: Roy

Phil & Tony...
Thank you for posting all this info:cheers !

Just a few observations:

510 HP with ex manifolds .... THAT'S IMPRESSIVE !!!!!
I KNOW a set of 2" tube headers would bring that up by 25.

Also... the torque... I would have expected the figure you attained... but at 4200 RPM ?
I'm quite surpised that peak torque was in at THAT speed:eek:
But your results ARE encouraging for me. With 423 CID at about 11.5:1 compression, I'm hoping to have MY torque peak at around 5500-5800. The fact that you made THAT many cubic inches do it at 4200 suggests that I MAY not be dreaming:p

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
510HP & 520Lbs. of torque! Way to go!:cheers And all that in a stock apearing engine that runs on pump gas. :eek: I was wondering about the cam you guys used. Was it one of those streetable solid rollers?
My wife Jayne said she thinks I love the 409 more than her.........I told her that was impossible
Wow! Good answer! :cheers especially if you came up with it without thinking too long. :D

62Belair409

Well Known Member
Jim

It even breathes through the Stock 3361 & 3362 Carter AFB's on top of the stock Aluminum 2x4 manifold.....certainly Tony Shaffer has built a wolf in sheeps clothing !;) Idled at 900 RPM's. Talk to Tony about the internals.

Dave:D :D :D

Camshaft on the 09

Hey guys,
Checked out the question on the camshaft. It is a solid street roller. It's a Crane piece and the lifters also. I can't remember the exact specs right now, but it's in the book. I think it's 236 degrees duration at .050 on the intake side with a little over .600 lift and the exhaust I believe is 242 degrees with a litle over .630.
It really sounds sweet, it will idle at 900 RPM's like Dave said and thru the exhaust it's got that mild rumble that lets you know something cool is going on. Well gotta go, dinner bell just rang. See you all later.
Tony

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
Hey Dave, what can you tell me about D&M restorations in Greenville? I am close to greenville. What exactly do they do? BBQ

62Belair409

Well Known Member
The guys in Greeenville do tach and guage restoration, they actually update the internals in the Sun Tach Box so there is no battery (you'll have to attach a wire to a 12v ignition supply) and they calibrate needle movement.

Dave

Head Porting on the 409-474

We did some port work on the heads in the bowl area the way the 409's like it and of course the port openings were matched to the gasket. There was also some special intake manifold work performed to pick up velocity and broaden the power range. We tried to get the peak torque and the peak horsepower as far away from one another as possible so it would pull hard for a very long time.
Tony

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The magazines are full of big block engine buildups that make this kind of power but they all seem to have aftermarket aluminum heads and intakes. 409's like this are living proof that these engines can still hold there own against the newer big block. Especially when you consider that it's using stock exhaust manifolds.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tony the wizard

Tony, good to see you visiting and posting to the 348-409 Forum! Your experience and knowledge are most welcome here!

I was really glad to get a chance to visit you at your shop, Day Automtive in Independence, Missouri, and to see the various "W" projects you have underway. Guys, there's got to be at least a dozen "W" blocks in various stages, from short blocks to built engines ready for the dyno (like Dave's '62 QB stroked to 474 with 690s and the roller cam pulling 500 plus in torque and HP ratings :) ). Forget the fact that there are Z-11 heads and QM blocks laying about...

I walked away from your place wondering why I was attempting to build a 409 engine for the first time, when you have all this experience and are but 120 miles away:). Perhaps we can work together to get the bottom end correct in my QD stroker and I can finish the "glory work" of assembling the top end and accessories?

I look forward to working with you on future projects!

Best,
TomK
Columbia, MO

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
OK when porting a 409 head they is a big ridge that comes off the short turn radius towards the port wall that I've never seen on any other head. Its almost like an additional short turn on the side. Grind it out to make it like all other heads?

For comparing flow stock 409 heads intakes flow what the best Pontiac RAIV intakes flow.

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
What a stroke of luck! Tony called today and said he just finished a set of Z-11 heads. We decided to put them on our short block until he can figure out who actually owns the heads! Rumor has it the owner likes to eat BBQ.