A few q's RE: 348 3X2 set up

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That cam is a mild ''performance'' cam. The main reason for vac.advance is better drivibility and mileage when cruising around.In the case of your engine,the mileage will be improved by 2-3 mpg. once the tune is dialed in.You'll have longer plug life as well.TThere's a reason why Chevrolet ditched the no vac.advance deal starting with the 63 model year and never went back to it.If you were running very high compression and over about 240 degrees at .050 then no on the vac.advance.

reastman

Well Known Member
I found this last nite, regarding accel pumps and check balls:

This would be pertinent for anyone using Rochester 2GC and 4GC carbs.
I looked at my pump wells again today, and they [all three] have each a blind hole in the pump well, and a blind hole adjacent to the well in the bottom of the bowl - no check balls, no cross-drilled holes - nothing. If the pump well slot is above the pump seal, how does the well receive fuel? The pump plunger body, with a check ball in it looks like the only way to get fuel to the well bottom according to the Tri Five thread. The thread addresses hesitation, flat spots and bogging. It's worth the read.
BTW, I rec'd my end carbs plungers, and they have the "garter" spring under the cup seal lip. The center plunger I got earlier this week did not
Dick

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You are saying there is no passage open at bottom of pump well. So if fuel does seep through check ball on accelerator pump then fuel has no where to go. That makes no sense. I would split carb pour fuel in bowl and pump well and take a accel pump and pump it in the well see if anything comes out somewhere.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I feel we’re getting hung up on the check ball issue. Maybe watch this from Mike’s Carburetor.

John
That could be, so there has to be a escape route for fuel being forced by the accelerator pump is what I was saying also.

Last edited:

reastman

Well Known Member
lets see some pictures of the float bowl and accelerator pump well.…..

John
Here are some pics, #1 rear, #2 ctr, #3front. Different lighting, #4 rear, #5front, #6 ctr. #7 is Show Cars chrome timing cover. First off, I had to cut out lip at bottom of seal opening - it was tapered, and tapered the oil seal as I pressed it in. It ruined the seal; Secondly, when I set the crank TDC, compression #1 cyl, with my TDC adapter, and indicator, #8 pic, the timing tab was off 4 degees. The true engine TDC is 4 deg ATDC on the tab. BTW, the tool is made from a plug, with the porcelain knocked out and reamed for a 3/8 drill bushing. I still need to let Show Cars know, and see if they will give me a new seal, too.

Attachments

• P1010950.JPG
    P1010950.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010951.JPG
    P1010951.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010952.JPG
    P1010952.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010943.JPG
    P1010943.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010945.JPG
    P1010945.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010946.JPG
    P1010946.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010953.JPG
    P1010953.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010954.JPG
    P1010954.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 33

reastman

Well Known Member
I've made several inquiries about leather plungers. I've had leather disks in my rebuild kits, but they did not look to fit anything. The plungers were plastic and no provision for check ball. I talked to Mountain Man Carbs and he gave me a name of a company that makes leather seal plungers: https://daytonaparts.com/m/findyourkit.html?opt=make

I don't know if they use the metal bodies w/ check ball, as shown above.
I also installed the Echlin plungers to replace the kit ones that ended up with torn cup seals. The Echlin tech I talked to said the secondaries have a different p/n, because the length is different. The ctr is 2.530" lg, the two ends are 2.485" long. The replacement secondaries also came with the Garter springs, the ctr did not. Also the ctr plunger had 2 less spring coils, and was noticeably lighter.
They must have a reason for this
I'll talk to Daytona parts Monday. They never showed up on any searches, had to hear it from another carb shop.
Thanks for the pic, Don
Dick

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
No, one kit was for a 1950 Plymouth B&B the other two are for a pair of 750 AFBs
All three kits have leather accelerator pump cups.
That was the reason for using his kits.
Jon knows the rubber pumps won't stand up to the crap gas they sell today, plus he builds the kits with the parts that they came with from the factory.

reastman

Well Known Member
Here are pics of pumps I got in kit. The seals tore, so I bought three more that looked same, except ctr carb had no garter spring. The blue ones are from kit 27 years ago, and the cup seals shrank. But, notice difference in spring length, as well as plunger length. The white ctr plunger is about 3/32 longer than the end carb plungers flanking it. The short springs were from kit 27 years ago. Also, is the leather disc pictured for perhaps the old plunger style w/ check ball, as shown above that LAHR posted? The long springs are much stiffer, too.

Attachments

• P1010955.JPG
    P1010955.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010956.JPG
    P1010956.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 8

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jon will only sell you stock stuff and he won’t sell you anything you don’t need. He will want the original tag numbers or he won’t sell you anything.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I was a distributor for Jon's kits. They are PREMO STUFF!!!!!! Would reccomend him for sure!!!!

DaveN

Well Known Member
BTW' a few pics of the original 1961 SS. I was third owner in '68. I paid $850 with 65k on it, sold in late '69 for $675, had 90k plus miles. I still have the original tach [no sending unit - it was what failed]
I think I may know where this car is located. It was in Toledo and a friend of mine bought it from him around 2000 2001 it is a black car red interior SS 350 HP 4sp when he got the car someone had put in different interior pieces some were still red some aqua he bought it with a 283 in it and the 348 was in pieces. we put the 348 back together and it ran fine but was tired. He had the car verified by Verne Franze. He sold the car to another friend of ours before his passing in 2020. I wish I could of bought the car but didn't know he was selling. The car is now in Michigan in storage. I know its the same car.