A few questions

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Hi, I'm here on a bit of a fact finding mission. I've recently bought a 40 ford sedan, and I am in the process of deciding how to build it.
I like the idea of a 348 in it, but also want to use a manual gearbox, preferably a 5 speed. Is this possible, are ther any conversions?
Also, what sort of year engine should I be looking for, and what can I expect to pay for it? I'm hopeing to have something in the 300 -350hp range. Is this possible without throwing loads of money at it? I don't know what hp 348's are standard, hence the question.
I'f you've read my intro, you'll know I'm a beginner to this, so your patience with me will be appreciated. Thanks - Neil

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
348 cost

I would think $500-$600 for a complete re-buildable engine. Good 3 angle valve job and modern cam with free flowing exhaust should see easy 300hp on pump gas. Available on E-bay every day. Good luck

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info, the Tremec info is great, but it looks like $3000 plus shipping, not in my budget I'm afraid. A great setup for serious racing, but I'm looking at building a street car that may see strip action once or twice a year. What are Doug Nash boxes like? I've read on here that they break, but what kinda horsepower causes that, and are they 'that' bad to shift?

Also, on the engine, should I be looking at any particular year? Are some 348's less desirable than others?

I really appreciate the input, thanks.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
348 specs

Neils:

The 348 came in passenger cars starting in 1958 and lasting until 1961. In trucks, they ran from 1958 (I think) until 1965. The passenger car blocks are more desirable. Some argue that 1961 was the"peak" for the 348, as it could be had in an array of horsepower ratings and configurations. The standard offering was a 250 horse "garden variety", pretty common. The hot setups included solid lifters and mutliple carbs (3 two barrel Rochesters). You can get this stuff separately and make one up yourself, but that might be prohibitive in terms of shipping across the Atlantic. There are some setups already built for sale on Ebay from time to time. You might consider that if you want one already completed. Getting the basic parts isn't too difficult, getting the higher performance parts is a bit costly, as demand is high for those.

It really depends on how much you want to "personalize" your build, and make it stand out in your engine bay. Me, I like stock GM iron (or aluminum) parts, multiple carbs, performance heads. But that can be expensive to acquire and to build. As you refine your interests, let us know what you are thinking and we'll try to help out as best we can :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
The early 348 engines had cooling issues and were redesigned part way through 1958.
IMO avoid early 1958 castings. stick to late 58 and up 348 engines.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
You can get a T5 much cheaper than $3k. Just look around for a used one. They're fairly common, as they were used in a variety of cars and some trucks. With only 300-350 hp, it wouldn't need to be a "built" transmission.

Any transmission that will work on a big block or small block will also work behind the 348/409, whether it be a 3 speed, 4 speed, T5, or T56.