A tale of two pans.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
image.jpg two oil pans, one came off the 62 block I found over in Pa. The other was in a tractor trailer rig. The 62 block although it was a 690 head aluminum four barrel manifold, I can't say this is the original pan. The last duty the 62 409 saw was in front of a New Idea top loader tranny in a milk truck. The pan on the right is the one that came off the 62. It is smashed up by the drain plug beyond repair I think. The difference in these pans are the oil baffles as well as a few stamping ridges. Can anyone identify these pans by the type of baffles ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 26

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The one on the right, looks like, a HP 409 pan. Can't tell by the picture, how deep it is,:dunno but the baffle looks the same.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The one on the right, looks like, a HP 409 pan. Can't tell by the picture, how deep it is,:dunno but the baffle looks the same.
That's what I was thinking, but why the different baffle? Did the high performance engine have a windage tray that extended forward that the baffle on the left pan would interfere with?

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The one on the right looks like the one i have that came on a 814 block 425 hp engine that i bought years ago.I replaced it with a stefs pan and now i am going to us it on my current build. I have not seen a pan like the one in the left picture.I have two spare pans that i bought at swap meets that i always thought were truck pans as they have no baffles and the drain plug is in the bottem.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
  1. The one on the right looks like the one i have that came on a 814 block 425 hp engine that i bought years ago.I replaced it with a stefs pan and now i am going to us it on my current build. I have not seen a pan like the one in the left picture.I have two spare pans that i bought at swap meets that i always thought were truck pans as they have no baffles and the drain plug is in the bottem.
The one on the left came on a 65 truck block. I have a 348 pan that is identical except for the dip stick location. Same baffle location.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The pan on the right I may be able to rehab but would have to cut the baffle out to get the hammer and dolly in. Really puckered up!

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Might be worth the effort,the way it is baffled looks like it would work ok.Didn't i see i don't remember where right now that someone offered a weld in section that included the drain plug area.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My nephew, a tool maker machinist came over today and picked up both pans. His fab dept. is going to fix the oil drain hole and using the high performance 62 pan as a pattern, weld in an oil baffle that lays down like that pan. That modification will allow me to use a windage tray that extends towards the front of the pan giving better oil control and avoid roping. I'm also thinking about fabbing a baffle for the rear of the pan to keep the oil from climbing during acceleration.

bschulze

Well Known Member
7219.jpg

FYI: Pan repair bottom. These are about $60.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
image.jpg These are two styles of Chevy oil pickups. The open screen type I don't know what engine it came out of. I'm pretty sure it is from a W though. My question is has anyone seen a pickup like this before? Also, why did Chevy change the pickup from this open screen style? I'm leaning towards using the open screen pickup for the stroker engine along with the modified pan. Can anyone see the advantage or disadvantage of either style? The other pickup is the one that broke off the pickup tube in the pan of the aforementioned stroker engine. Never saw this before. You can see where metal fatigue has caused breakage. Third, notice how long the pickup tube is on the open screen pickup. I think that pickup came on the 62 409???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 44

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Not positive. :dunnoThe one on the right, may keep more debris, from getting sucked to the screen. :dunno2I have never seen a pick-up, like the one on the left.