AD on Cragar blower intake manifolds

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
To the other four owners of a Cragar Blower intake manifold, Pay attention!!!
I have about 3K miles with this Cragar intake manifold when it lost the keepers from the PSI releif valve. The valve is the same as many 60's HP valves that are in the head.
Long story short.... It backfired and did its job by releiving the manifold PSI but in doing so lost the keepers that were ingested. Luckly all the other parts were too big to make it past intake valves. I have scoped inside all cylinders and found one keeper in #2 cylinder and suspect that the other keeper made it out of #3 exhaust.
My fix to this not happening again is as follows.
I threaded the valve stem and drilled it for a cotter pin. The stem is 3/8 so I used a 3/8 24 castle nut and cotter keyed it.
I have posted before and after pics.
If this does not work out, I will post the results.
AD stands for Airworthyness Directive. I cant call it a recall as it is a 60's model manifold. I just want to share the problem with others that have this manifold.

Attachments

• Cropped Cragar intake 004.jpg
    Cropped Cragar intake 004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Cragar before JPEG.jpg
    Cragar before JPEG.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 281

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
I have been offered 5K for the bare manifold.
I have not talked to anyone that claims to own one.
I have begged on this site for feedback and had no owners.
It might be worth even more if is the only one running.:deal

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A year or 2 ago some one was selling a motor that Curt Harvey built. It had the Cragar Blower manifold. Only one I ever saw. Bob

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
There was one on eBay a long while back (years ago). Don't remember what it was bid up to, though. I think Jack Gibbs has/had one, too.

Think the manifold is rare? How about a timing cover?

Attachments

• D15F_3.JPG
    D15F_3.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 112
  • C58E_3.JPG
    C58E_3.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 118

gearhead409

Well Known Member
who owns the 6-71 weiand manifold in your second picture? i know at least two guys that would die for that one.

fastfreds

Well Known Member
I know a friend of mine in Washington has one of the 471 versions on an engine I built for him 5 years ago. I built an adapter plate for it so he could use a 671 on it. I was with him when he bought the manifold at the portland swap meet about 10 years ago for around $300 I think.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
who owns the 6-71 weiand manifold in your second picture? i know at least two guys that would die for that one.

If I recall correctly, I grabbed those photos from one of Jack's auctions. He always seems to have neat stuff in the background of his photos. There were a few others in my 348/409 folder (at home) that showed that Weiand intake.

bbq2

I have a Algon timing cover, but I did not know Cragar made one. Mike, you have a PM. Jeff

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Here are the other photos that showed glimpses of the Weiand intake and the Cragar parts that I had in my 348/409 folder.

Attachments

• C391_3.JPG
    C391_3.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 79
  • CF16_3.jpg
    CF16_3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 79
  • F09B_3.JPG
    F09B_3.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DC0F_3.JPG
    DC0F_3.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 93

gearhead409

Well Known Member
thanks Mike. that manifold has two popoff valves in the front of it and are retained very much like the fix Terry made to his. i like it because it sets the blower down low on the engine and just plain looks good.