Additional Upper Control Arm Info needed

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have installed an additional control arm on my 63 Impala. My problem is that with it installed and putting on the panhard bar the entire assemble appears to be pulled to the left side and the control arms look sort of like / / instead of straight.
I bought the parts from show cars and they had an instruction sheet on spacing of the brackets and I am on the money.

Is this normal without the weight on the frame? Anybody have a pic or to or some dimensions showing the proper locations and spacing for the brackets on the frame and the rear end housing?

Also when I put the panhard bar on I had to pull the axle housing to the left about 2 inches to get the bolt in the hole.

I feel that there may have been a mistake in the instructions or I don't know what I am doing?

Help
Ed

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ed, it's normal for the panhard bar to pull the rear end over when there's no weight on the suspension. When the car is sitting at ride height the panhard bar will be closer to parallel with the ground and it will push the rear end back to center. If the rear end isn't centered at ride height you can get an adjustable panhard bar but chances are it'll be pretty close.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim

Took your advise and checked things out. As you said as the frame was lowered closer to ride height and the panhard was close to parallel the control arms moved over and appear to be about right.

Thanks for the info and hope to see you at Thompson.

Ed