After market gauges

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just wondering, what kind if any, after market gauges you fine folks are using in 9er?? Or are you just using the factory idiot lights?? My '62 came with (brand unknown) a set of 3 mechanical gauges; oil, temp. and volts. I elected not to hook them back up but I did leave the gauge cluster and all the wiring intact, sending unit, and tubing, under the dash and in the engine compartment. At this time, I don't want to rely on the gauges and really don't want them a part of this car. But, that could change and that's why I left everything. For some reason, I want to have the idiot lights functional and use just them. I'm at the stage now, that I ran some power through the car this afternoon. The GEN, OIL and green TEMP. lights all came on. You have no idea how important it is and how happy I was, to see that green TEMP light. My '64 SS also came with gauges and I took them out. It took me 1.5 days to figure out the wiring and get that green TEMP light to work. Guess I have an obsession with it. Probably should be seeing Dr. Phil for therapy. Anyhow, I know its probably not the smartest thing to do, rely on lights, but that's what I'm going to do initially. I did find some gauges that in the future, I might have an interest in. Found then in Speedway. Made by SW. Retro 60's look and very pricey. So, that's the story, Carmine.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Carmine.
I use gauges just because I want to know if any thing has changed. Back when these cars were new they were just a car and the idiot light was the cheapest for of indication available. I have poured many hours and dollars into our cars and I like to know that they are running right. Especially oil pressure and water temperature.
Just my opinion but you could even make a hinged bracket that hides the for shows and has the visible for use??

Steve

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Carmine,

I use stewart warner set of 3 gauges under the glove compartment lite in red. I like Steve always want to know what the temp and oil pressure are at all times. I do have the amp meter also, like I said set of 3 gauges. Here in Florida she ran 180 degrees when rolling and 190-220 in summer somedays at stop lights and immediately cooled back down to the 180. You can't see that with idiot lights you now not only have the 409 dream car it's an investment that you cannot run down to your local auto store, shop, dealer and get repair parts in the event something happen that's unforseen. With the guages you get too see what she's doing in real time and shut her down if you don't like what she's telling you.

Happy Motoring Ted

http://www.stewartwarner.com/en-US/Products/StewartWarner/Product-groups/Gauges.aspx

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I put in SW deluxe series mechanical gauges shortly after I got the car in 64, oil pressure, water temp and ammeter like the center one above. Today I would install a voltmeter instead of ammeter. It will tell you everything you need to know without the 10 ga wires running to the gauge and back to the voltage regulator. Less chance of smoke where you don't want it. I don't know why I keep putting off changing that gauge, lazy I guess.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm in total agreement that the gauges are a better indicator of what's going on with the motor, then the lights. Guess I'm stuck in between. I spent a ton of money for that motor and don't want anything to happen to it. I know I can run the mechanical oil pressure gauge and the light at the same time. But the temp. gauge, I can't. Chevrolet was very stingy when it came to temp. ports for the "W" engine. There is one in the intake manifold and that's it. Nothing in the heads at all; at least nothing I could find. In comparison, the sbc heads have several. I still have time to rethink this. I know the reasonable, prudent approach would be gauges. Its just convincing myself, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm in total agreement that the gauges are a better indicator of what's going on with the motor, then the lights. Guess I'm stuck in between. I spent a ton of money for that motor and don't want anything to happen to it. I know I can run the mechanical oil pressure gauge and the light at the same time. But the temp. gauge, I can't. Chevrolet was very stingy when it came to temp. ports for the "W" engine. There is one in the intake manifold and that's it. Nothing in the heads at all; at least nothing I could find. In comparison, the sbc heads have several. I still have time to rethink this. I know the reasonable, prudent approach would be gauges. Its just convincing myself, Carmine.
The sentence above that you wrote, I spent a ton of money for that motor and don't want anything to happen to it, should be convincing enough for you my Friend:) Happy motoring Ted

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Carmine. Have a s3 arch but I think there is a temp sensor out there that has two terminals on it. One for the analogue reading back for the gauge and on that operates at a specific temperature.
Steve

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I've had Stewart Warner Green Lines, in my 64 SS Conv, when it was new.:clap I have used them in 2 different SS Hardtops. They've never missed a beat. Like Ron mentioned, I did replace the ammeter with a voltmeter. ($ 80.00):doh Don't need, the drama of a fire, again.:eek1 Once was enough. I too, like seeing the green light, in the morning.:clap

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Our dad installed a couple of Stewart Warner gauges under his dash not too long after he bought the car. We recently restored the car and those gauges still worked but looked a bit worse for wear so we ordered a couple of new ones from SW. We went with the Standard gauge line and they are virtually identical to the original gauges he purchased back in the 60's. So, while not original to the car...they are period correct. My only compliant is they don't illuminate so the gauges are worthless at night.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've had Stewart Warner Green Lines, in my 64 SS Conv, when it was new.:clap I have used them in 2 different SS Hardtops. They've never missed a beat. Like Ron mentioned, I did replace the ammeter with a voltmeter. ($ 80.00):doh Don't need, the drama of a fire, again.:eek1 Once was enough. I too, like seeing the green light, in the morning.:clap

If any, those would be the ones I would install. Nice looking gauges.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Our dad installed a couple of Stewart Warner gauges under his dash not too long after he bought the car. We recently restored the car and those gauges still worked but looked a bit worse for wear so we ordered a couple of new ones from SW. We went with the Standard gauge line and they are virtually identical to the original gauges he purchased back in the 60's. So, while not original to the car...they are period correct. My only compliant is they don't illuminate so the gauges are worthless at night.

Carmine - I happened to be out at dusk in my car one summer evening, pulled the switch to turn on my lights and lo & behold, there were "lights" on my gauge cluster.

Just something for you to consider.

Don't start "pinching pennies" now, you're too close to the finish line.

Do it once & do it right. (Something I said to myself when writing checks to get my car "right".)

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had this oil pressure and vacuum gauge I think I got from an auction years ago... I bought the matching temp gauge at Summit. They have all the retro SW gauges, but they are expensive.. They look cool though
Rick

9AB46A3E-589D-4CF9-BBBA-68616B8DBBC0.jpg

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I also have the "Greenline" temp and oil gauges in my '60. Had them in my race '60 back in the 60's.

Lonnie