Aftermarket trailing arm weld on brackets?

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I ran across them somewhere several months back. But I can't remember who had them available?
Anyone?
Thanks in advance.
I plan to start mocking up the rear I bought with the rear frame section I kept from the parts car, and need these brackets to weld onto the new rear. Don't really want to scavenge the ones off an original housing and make it useless.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Anyone?
Started building a jig today so I can get measurements to do the rear diff swap, but I will need the weld on brackets to go any further.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Tom: Sorry, I have given you incorrect information, on the Weld-on bracket.:doh The Bracket Show Cars sells, is for a stock 8.2 Chevy Housing. I came across your other post, about installing a 8.5 rear. :rolleyes Maybe, it can be made to work.:dunno

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
The problem I'm seeing, is the original 8.2 rear has 3" tubes, so the brackets are cut for that size tube, whereas the 8.5 rear has something like 2 1/2--2 5/8 tubes.
Another possibility that I'm going to look at, is after doing some quick measurements, the 8.5 lower mounts appear to be in almost the same location as the originals, and I will confirm tomorrow, but also look to be at the same angle.
I might be able to modify the factory 8.5 mounts, maybe drill new bolt hole, and use what is there.
Will keep everyone informed.
I looked all over this site for that old super chevy article where they put a 12 bolt out of an elcamino into a 62 chevy.
In that article, they made no mention of altering the lower mounts. They only made mention of cutting and welding the uppers to attach to the factory mounts on crossmember.
I'm starting to think GM may have placed the lower arm mounts in a standardized location on not only the early 8.2 rear, but the later 10 bolt A body, 12 bolt A body, and even these later G body rears.
Like I said. Need to do more measuring tomorrow.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If I remember correctly,you're planning on eliminating the panhard rod.If so,then the uppers will need to be custom made anyway.I don't think that it'll be all that hard to do.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
And.....I am looking for the lower mounts that are out near the backing plates, not the bracket to add another factory upper banana arm, I'm doing away with that factory crap, along with the panhard bar.
I'm triangulating a later GM rear into this chassis. NO MORE PANHARD P.I.T.A. !!

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
If I remember correctly,you're planning on eliminating the panhard rod.If so,then the uppers will need to be custom made anyway.I don't think that it'll be all that hard to do.
Yes, I'm not looking for upper mounts. This post was trying to find a supplier for the lower outer mounts.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I sent an email to DTS to see if they will sell me the outer mounts.
They offer a bolt in 12 bolt chevy rear housing that uses the factory upper arms and panhard bar.
If I can buy the outer brackets, they might be able to be modified for the 8.5's smaller tubes.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Ok, soooooooo. DTS wanted something like $275 for the outer lower brackets, which I felt was a touch salty.
I tried really hard to use the factory G body lower mounts by making some brackets I thought I could weld onto the originals.
This simply did not work. The whole reason for attempting this was to keep the rear so it could be reinstalled into a G body.
Guess what??? I DON'T CARE!!!!!
Once I go through the trouble of installing this rear into this car, I could give 2 s**ts about a G body.
New plan is to remove the factory lower brackets from the 63 rear, and install them onto the G body rear after I delete the factory mounts from its tubes.
I have wasted a good 3 weeks trying to go the other route.

Attachments

• 20181020_103645.jpg
    20181020_103645.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181020_103634.jpg
    20181020_103634.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 26

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just a thought, if you cut the axle tube around the lower arm brackets. Can they be rapped around the the 8.5 housing to make up for the differences axle tube diameter?

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I will look into that, but I work in a machine shop, and I think I can probably fab up what I will need to make the gaps come out.