AHHHH!! windshield clips????

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Setting up to put the glass in the 64 and have installed the new front lower large molding clips and am now stuck!! Got these small clips that go around the sides and top of the front and rear windows (?) One is smaller and one is larger. Can't remember which goes where or how many are required. Looks like they clip over the window lip and maybe the smaller ones go to the front but need to be sure before I do this install. Picture attached shows the two. And can you buy these new? And also do you fellas still cram the window area with window caulk like the factory did or do use a uretahne rubber product?:dunno

Attachments

• clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 56

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Walt,
My 64 parts manual shows multiple applications for 4815949 in 58-64 front and back glass (upper) in sport coupe, sport sedan, and wagon back glass and show an A.R. (as required) for number used. It also shows 63-64 pass 4878288 on lower center in a quantity of 8. Also shows 4878672 for 63-64 pass on lower rt side in quantity of 1.
Unfortunately It doesn't show a pic of the clips but I'm sure if you called AutoCityClassic, they would have them or tell you who does. They look like the clips I got from them when I restored the liftgate glass on my 58 wagon.
Also noted that showcars shows 63-64 lower windshield mouldingclip sets as item #6374.......no uppers listed?:scratch

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil-

While we are on this subject, does your manual show which clips to use for the rear window lower stainless on a bubbletop? Are they the same as the uppers?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
As long as the glass is out

Just do a test fit with the trim and see that it fits flush with the body. With that much difference, you'll soon know which is the correct clip in the correct spot.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys, got it figured out. Long ones go out back and the short ones go up front. Thanks for the input. It helped alot, now all I have to do is find a good windshield. Both of mine have turned out to have nasty wiper burn marks that look pretty bad. Going down to a big old yard tomorrow to see if I can find another good unit.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I used some sticky goop that I got from a glass shop to seal the windshield and back window. I think the clips will cause a leak if you don't use sealer.