Air Conditioning in 1961

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Was air conditioning available for all of the 348/409 cars in 1961 or was it only available to the lower HP cars with automatic transmissions?:dunno

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
That's a great question. From what I've heard none of the 350 horse tri-power configurated 348's or 409's in 1961 were delivered from the factory with Air.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
A/C would not have been available with the solid lifter (340 & 350) 348 motors. The only 409 available with A/C was the 340 horse motors in '63, 4 and 5.

With the exception of some Corvettes, rule of thumb.....no A/C with solid lifters

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
A/C would not have been available with the solid lifter (340 & 350) 348 motors. The only 409 available with A/C was the 340 horse motors in '63, 4 and 5.

With the exception of some Corvettes, rule of thumb.....no A/C with solid lifters
Thank you for the clarification.
:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
How bout AC with the 348-305hp high performance motors?????

I believe you could get A/C with a '61 305 because they had hyd. lifters. Although it sems to me that Rick (NASCAR FAN) had uncovered some info concerning A/C in 1961 but I can't remember exactly what it was. Perhaps he would chime in.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The info I have about a/c on '61 cars is not backed up by Chevy printed documentation that I've actually seen so I'm not sure it is correct. Anyway the info was a/c was not available on '61 cars ordered with 4-speed transmissions.

Rick

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Why is the suffix code for (GD) 348-305hp powerglide and (FL) 348-305hp listed as being solid lifter motors??? Or where those motors solid lifter motors in the earlier years and hyd by the 1961 model year. Was any 348 even the higher HP motors avaliable in non SS cars?

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The 1959-1960 "GD" 348/305 had a hi performance solid lifter cam, 11.0:1 c.r., 1.94/1.66 valve heads, Carter AFB carb. and was only available with a Powerglide transmission. The '61 348/305 had the standard hyd. lifter cam, 9.5:1 c.r., 2.06/1.72 valve heads, Carter AFB carb. and was available with a Powerglide or man. trans. The '61 348/305 also had exhaust manifolds with a 2 1/2" exit. Never saw a '59-'60 GD 348 so I'm not sure about the manifolds.

Rick

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
pasted from the home page

Year used: 1961
Model: Passenger car
Engine: 348
Horsepower: 250,280,305,340,350

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It has always been my understanding that AC was only available with the 250hp (RPO 576) and 280 hp (RPO 573) 348 engines. That is supported by the parts listing for the RPO 110 and RPO 111 Air Conditioning option parts lists in the assembly manual. The only reason I could see to preclude 4 speed with AC would be the potential interference of the shifter handle with the AC control panel. High perf and special high perf (solid lifter) engines would have deep groove pulleys that would not be compatible with AC. Of course you could probably get a dealer to install it on a 305 as an accessory, if you match up the pulleys.:dunno
JMHO

61348enginesC.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The above information, if true opens up a hold new line of thinking because it means no factory built '61 Super Sport would have had A/C :dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The above information, if true opens up a hold new line of thinking because it means no factory built '61 Super Sport would have had A/C :dunno

Tommy,
I'm not 100% positive on the 305 PG having the deep groove pulleys. Need more research. I guess I will have to rummage through the Parts book for the pulley differences, but the AC RPO parts lists doesn't mention RPO 572 (305 hp).

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
I found factory printed information on the availability of factory installed air conditioning on 1961 full-size Chevrolet passenger cars. The info is in the Chevy dealer's 1961 CHEVROLET FACTS BOOK. From the Facts Book about a/c option availability: "except Biscayne Fleetmaster with Hi-Thrift 6 and models with 4-speed Syncro-Mesh transmission." The Fleetmaster Hi-Thrift 6 cyl had a special calibrated (lean) carb.

There is a '61 Chevrolet Fingertip Facts book on Ebay. Item #220364007047--buy it now for only $155.00

Rick

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hummmm.....
I was always under the impression(gained when I was in school in Atlanta during that period)that the 305 Horse was mostly a PO'lice option. It was in Dekalb County anyway.
Don't remember if any of'em had air though.
I know that I tried in vain then to buy that 5 plate clutch PG drum though.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"I was always under the impression(gained when I was in school in Atlanta during that period)that the 305 Horse was mostly a PO'lice option. It was in Dekalb County anyway"

Same here in Virginia, the state police used mostly Fords but there were a few '61 Chevrolets. There was one Chevrolet in the area where I grew up and it was a black Biscayne with a 348/305 and a 3 speed transmission. I can't say that ever saw a regular Chevrolet with a 305 back then, if I did I didn't realize what it was. I wouldn't have know what motor was in that car except I worked at the local Texaco that did the oil changes and wash jobs for the troopers when I was in high school and I changed the oil in the car.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I worked at the local Texaco that did the oil changes and wash jobs for the troopers when I was in high school and I changed the oil in the car.

Hey Tommy..... when I was in High School I also worked at a service station..... and filled all the RCMP cars with gas..... we never did any services though .... they had their own shop for that....... it was pretty cooool... I was on a first name basis with all the cops in town..... saved my bacon more than once !!! :roll

Dave