Air Ride

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ben pondering:brow Does anyone here run air bags under a 59/60 Impala?
If so how well do they work for you and have you ran them in 1/4 what size works best?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tic,, Are you asking about air bags inside the coil springs or the AirRide system that eliminates the springs altogether?

I`m using the air bags inside the coils and they work great in my `62.
I also have the AirRide system in my Blazer and theyalso work extremely well,,, but I don`t drag race it,,,
Although I have done a few burnouts:brow and they seem to work just fine,:D
no hop,,,dq

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
COOL! Ya I am looking to replace the coils completly throw on a spark bar and drag to Low Rider take it alittle higher LOL:D JUST KIDDING. I am not going to race every weekend just once twice to see what she can do. Other than that it's cruise nights and ricer scares:brow

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I've put both the '59 Delivery on air and a '92 Caprice Wagon "on air". Both systems work well on these huge cars. Another setup is waiting in the box for one of the other wagons.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thats great Tic !! I think the AirRide susp is a really good setup !!
I was very supprised on well the Blazer rode after installing them in the back and there excelent for towing too !!!

Next year the front bags, pumps and tank are going in !!,,,dq

Impala

I have a 61 Belair Wagon with air-bags inside the coils. They work great. I use the wagon to pull a 19' Imperial open car trailer. I've noticed a great improvement in handling.

If I were to use the air-bag for drag racing, I would make sure that the bags are not connected. i.e. air presure. Problem is that during launch, the presure from 1 bag is transfered to the other bag. That's not what you want. Not sure of the power your running but, be ready when you pull your foot off the gas. Car may change direction.

Rip

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Impala said:
I have a 61 Belair Wagon with air-bags inside the coils. They work great. I use the wagon to pull a 19' Imperial open car trailer. I've noticed a great improvement in handling.

Rip

If you reallywant to get an improved ride with that wagon ,,, go with the AirRide type bags that eliminate the springs like on my Blazer.
You can raise the back of the blazer to keep it level and hold the weight of that trailer,,,
I towed my Impala to Kansas with it and proved all the people wrong that said the short wheel base would be all over the road.
Level and Stable at 70+ MPH all the way !!!

But Do as you say ,,, plumb seperate !! ,,,dq

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
DQ, Do you have a link for the air bags inside the coils? Never heard of this one. Assume they stiffen things up.

Tic's, Sorry for highjacking your thread.

By the way, just got a new digital camera. First pic I took was, you guessed it. Forgive the polish on the valve covers and half the air cleaner.

Attachments

• 100_0001.jpg
    100_0001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 46

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No worries here :) Still digging around for the proper bags for the 60. Found a pump lines and remote but no idea on bag length yet...