All aluminum 409???

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ross,
I don't know what to make of that, frankly, if the "Chevrolet engineers" did build a car especially for drag racing, I can't believe it would have been a convertible. I've never heard of a factory all aluminum 409 before. Thanks for the the information though.
Tommy:confused:

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
As far as I know, there is no official production record of one ever being made. I think that, historically speaking, Chevrolet developing such an engine would have been inconsistent with the 427 "porcupine-head" mystery motor development (circa 1962-63) and would have been highly unlikely. Besides, any aluminum BBC block would have been cast at the Winters foundry and not CFD, Flint or Tonawanda.

GM playing around with Aluminum Big Blocks came into more serious consideration and development around early 1966. There is another possibility though.

In the early 60's Chevrolet released a few really obscure R&D and "experimental" engine pieces to Smokey Yunick for evaluation, and not Don Nicholson. I do recall reading in Hot Rod Magazine, some time ago, that when Smokey got really long in years he held an auction at his residence to sell all of these items. At the time, he got MAJOR BUCKS for some of these pieces. If one of them was an experimental 409 aluminum block, the new owner of it would surely have paid a King's randsom for it, and would be foolish to stuff it into a rag-top and sell it with a car for considerably less than the roughly $500,000 an engine like that would have fetched under the gavel.

Last note: I read the ad for "Lightweight-One" Nowhere does the ad mention anything about authenticating documentation from GM or Chevrolet.

Rockfish :cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Aluminum 409????

I've never heard anything about an all aluminum 409 from Chevrolet. I heard stories that in the 80's Lamar Walden had an aluminum big block cast with the 409 head bolt pattern. That way he could use his aluminum 409 heads and have an all aluminum 409. But for Chevrolet to make one in 1963 and then put it in a convertible...??????....can't imagine that happening. And why not Z-11 heads???!!! Chevrolet was into the Mystery motor program by then.

I would be interested in the VIN. There have been some cars down through the years offered for sale as being built for "special" GM people but they were assembled in St. Louis or other plants. My question is...wouldn't that "special" car for that "special" GM person be built in the hometown plant of Flint!!!!!????? Makes you wonder..........

And why would the seller care if you sold the car out of the country???!!!! Really...after he gets his $240,000....WHY does he care where it goes??????? And why is he only accepting bids for 2 days???

Just my thoughts. Doesn't make any difference .....haven't got the cash anyway!!!!! If I did, I certainly wouldn't spend it that way!!!!!!! I'd buy everyone in the 348-409 club a new club t-shirt and a summer home in Anchorage!!!!!!

:D

Later.......

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
Talked to lamar walden about a week ago and he told me about his all aluminum engines he builds. he has made 2 blocks so far. they are basically a race block set up to accept the 409 hi po heads. If you want one he will build one ,carbs to pan for about 45,000.00. By the way ,one of his aluminum motors went approx 8.50 in the 1/4 in a nostalgia 62 bubbletop on 10 1/2 inch tires with a lenco tranny. Talk about a trick engine, he told me the rocker arms are 6 inches long! Figure out the pushrod angle on those heads!

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
I like what you had to say Phil and BBQ!!!

What difference does it make if the money is coming from Green Bay, or Greenland ??? Why would anyone want to restrict thier selling market in such odd ways??? Especially when the buyer's market in that price-range is so limited to wealthy jet-setters in the first place...

Now, Bob "The Administrator" may kick me out of the club for saying this, and I hope that he doesnt, but $45K for any 409 engine??? Doesnt matter to me if it used in NHRA Championship Drag Racing or not. The reward simply does not justify that much cost.

When it comes to jamming down the 1320 , Might makes Right!!!
and that is EXACTLY WHY our beloved 409's shining star passed just as quickly as it rose 40 years ago.

The physics of it is this: and Ive seen this other slogan right here on this website ,

There is no replacement for displacement!!!

for $13,500 Give me a complete, ready to go MOPAR 538 HEMI in the box , and as the old saying goes: Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!!!!

Rockfish :cool:

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hmm... Lets see... That's about 10 nice 55 BelAir convertibles. Personally, I think this guy's nuts. not me. O.K well maybe that statement's only half true. ;) NUT

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
IMPOSSIBLE! Somebody must have sprayed the motor with "Dull Aluminum Krylon" and the guy knows no better?

BTW, Lamar made what is believed to be the "Worlds first 7-second 409 pass with his all-aluminum motor in the 62' car @Indy SCS in 1988.

He unfortunatley redlighted AND grenaded the motor on the pass!

Phast Phil and I were there...it was AWESOME!!

:bow

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
SLOGAN

There is no replacement for displacement!!!

BRAKE HORSEPOWER IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO CUBIC DOLLARS!!

Phast Fill said dat!!!!

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the posts, Guys! I had the same opinions you guys did but I just wanted to wait and see if maybe there was such an engine.
I was thinking, wasn't this also about the same time that Chevrolet was recalling those early aluminum double hump heads for the Corvette? Bad aluminum castings. If the foundry couldn't get small block cylinder heads to work then how could they get a complete W-motor?
The whole deal seems pretty shady. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
Ross

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey guys, let's not forget that the General was having "modest success with the Buick/GMC aluminum V-6 in the early sixties.

My cousin had one of them damned things in his little Buick convertible and drove the wheels off of it.

I still think sumthin' stinks about this Impala deal though.

Attachments

• stinky.gif
    stinky.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 625
T

truck4092

Anchorage,Phil?Delta's scenery and everything else beats the "heck" out of Anchorage,I'd rather take a beating than drive to that crowded place,hee hee hee! Regards,P.D.Petty:p :p

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Just ask Smokey,,,,almost

Well to solve this mystery since Smokey is no longer with us we may have to ask the remaing family member of Smokey Yunik, his daughter Trish and ask her very nicely if she could find out from his old garage employees if Smokey ever had a all aluminum 409. Her email is lsby@aol.com and is also her ebay name since she sells some of his items once and awhile on ebay. I saw some of Smokeys garage items including the mystery motor, during his big garage sale down in Florida but looked like a typical BBC with beautiful cast iron headers which i think were a 2 piece design. There was also a gold painted BBC he built for bonneville which no one bid on(?) . SO ask her nicely and dont bug her too much.

MarkVI

I e-Mailed him

His response to me.
But before we go any further, are you a principle who can complete this size of a transaction? I just don't have the time to entertain any more "tire kickers".
Mark VI

I

IgnitionMan

I was reluctant to post this, simply because it probably will cause all kinds of consternation and discussion.

When I went to work for Duntov (yup, that Duntov), just after the Army, 1970, I saw two engines sitting in a corner at the storage room at Special Projects, both W engines, complete, all aluminum, even tghe stamped sheet aluminum valve covers. Both engines also had removeable top cross ram intakes on them, like the optional Z28 engines had, with the same design Holley's the Z engines used.

I asked about them, was told they were "old projects, obsolete and of no value".

I asked about their history. Both were evaluation engines, built close to the end of the W engine program, and just when the "Mistery Engine" project was in its infancy, Mark 3 series 427. I took that to mean that if the Mystery Engine program failed, they'd have had a backup for NASCAR and other racing venues that had classes for large engine'd vehicles.

One had a Z11 crankshaft (3.625 stroke), the other a crank out of a 427 big block (3.760 stroke), for increased engine displacement. One, the short stroke'r, had been tested at the special projects facility, then shipped to one Smokey Yunick for further evaluation against the then top secret Mark III. Smokey returned it to Special Projects in 1968, on their request. The larger stroke engine had its oil pan off, and the block was studded, 4 bolt mains, all 5 journals, from what I can remember.

Mark III won.

These pieces were cast at Reynolds Aluminum, from Alcoa base alloys, as were all the Can-Am 444 and 496 linerless engines and some few ultra top secret special projects parts/blocks/heads were, and NOT at Winters Foundary. None of the parts I saw on these engines had a Winters "Starburst" ident on them.

No, I don't know where they are now, but knowing GM, could be either still in that corner, or melted down into parts for a Citation or Chevette. If they aren't at the Special Projects facility now, I'd figure there'd be nobody left that knows anything about them anymore. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have asked for them.

I'm not surprized at the response from the Yunick people, ever wonder how many nose pickers get in touch with them every year, wanting this or that, or just info? LOTS. They are fairly private people and this is a hassle for them, and they are the money people of Smokey's family, not like he was.

Last time I saw Smokey in person was at Daytona, 1994, motorcycle speed week. He was walking along behind the garages, and I asked him who he was looking for. He told me he needed to find Merrill VanDerSlice, AMA Competition Manager, another pal of mine. So...he and I went to see Merrill, in the AMA garage two doors down from ours. A bunch of magazine editors whom didn't believe I knew Smokey about had heart attacks.

After he was done at Merrill's office, he came to our garage, hung out all day, asked about the then new Harley VR1000's. I said nobody gets into their garage, next door to us, in between Merrill and us, but I'd ask one of the people whom worked on the Harley's. Craig Fullmer let us both in and we stayed about an hour in the Harley garage, the only two non-Harley people to ever see the insdies of the engines and the bikes up close and personal.

The next day, Merrill, Smokey and I walked down the pit road to the end and watched the bikes charge into turn 1 full speed, and encountered the same editors of the previous day, sitting along the pit wall as we walked by. Trouble, more heart attacks. One comment was, "I wonder if Smokey had to pay to get in here?". My response was, "I don't think so, he's probably had keys to the whole joint for years".

I have known Smokey and most of his family since 1972. Smokey Yunick was a real live natural genius, all around solid platinum person and a super good friend to me. I really miss his presence, and his friendship.

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Geeze, I'm sitting here green with envy after reading that post. It would have been so neat to have been that close to those people, and straight from the horses mouth about the aluminum 409's. You may be right, those things may be setting in some old GM warehouse somewhere. Wouldn't tha be a find...09

I

IgnitionMan

I can tell you from personal experience, there are many, many really neat things in warehouses art GM. I'd like to think the special stuff was all preserved, but like I said, I asked and got the "old projects, obsolete and of no value" response.

If I'd have had the presence of mind to do so, I should have asked for them, but other more current projects took almost all of my time back then.

Hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it!

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Ya know IgnitionMan I'm sure your right, but what good does it do to preserve the stuff if no one knows about.
Ya know, being as how you did see 2 engines, it's also possible that there was a special car built for so high up offical with an aluminum engine.. I heard or read someway, that a higher up guy had a vette built with a 409, who know???...09

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Buick/Olds/Pontiac aluminum V6 in early 60s a cast iron heads made with Buick/Olds/Pontiac features. Maybe blocks were "easier" to build out of aluminum than heads. Ed

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
:bow Ignition Man...YOU ARE THE MAN !!! I read your post with great interest... To have been one of the fortunate few to be allowed to walk through those hallways!!! and not to mention your personal associations. Im impressed !!!! You didnt mention what your occupation, at that time, was though. I'd surely like to hear some more about that time in your life.

I cant help but wonder about those two aluminum "W" blocks though. I do know what fate most of the experimental parts and those fantastic motorama show cars suffered, just a year or two after they were paraded around the country. They were given to a salvage yard just outside Detriot, that was under a long-term contract with GM, for destruction. GM never did see a need to keep things forever, nor should they have.

IF, the engine in the advertised "Lightweight-One" actually is one of the two that you saw in '70, that would be truly astonishing... especially since the 1963 cars were already 7 years old by then , the ZL-1 was already an RPO for 1969 Vettes and Camaros, as well as being an over-the-counter production motor. The LS-7 BBC was the next King-Kong Chevy motor by then too. Needless to say, your account of these engines in '70, already contradicts the advertisement claim for Lightweight One as being built in 1963.

But that doesnt mean that strange things like that haven't happened. It could be that somebody "backdoored it" from that salvage yard and then stuffed it into a '63 convertible project. In which case, I would want to see the VIN of the car that it was installed in. Maybe the project car originally came from the factory with a 283....who knows.....

That all would have happened AFTER 1970 though. Most of those odd episodes are well known now, and have been written about many times. Again, it really depends on the circustances surrounding GMs acquisition/disposition of them.

My opinion is unwaivered in one respect though...For $250,000 There NEEDS to be a complete set of authenticating documentation, to include complete documented owner history and ALL originating documentation of that engine plus the other special parts used to build that car, from GM, Reynolds and Alcoa... Anything else being offered by the seller is heasae, and would not be worth listening to.

Strange though, how after all these years so little would be known about a car like lightweight-one. Like I suggested earlier, Most of the cars that World Class Car Collectors are interested in are very well documented. I also found the terms of sale very suspicious. If it were me, I would haul that car to Scottsdale in January and let it sell for what the market would bear for such a rare car. Rockfish