Alternator for 1965 409

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
What is the correct specification for a replacement alternator for a 1965 409 340 hp motor, and where can I get one? Is it the same as for SBC motors, ie, 283s and 327s? What makes of alternator were fitted to Van Nuys assembled cars?

427John

Well Known Member
While the specs for the 65 models make sense, the ones for the 62 models don't at all,passenger not specifying A/C got a 52 amp while A/C cars only got a 42 amp? Is that a typo?

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
That is why I asked about the assembly plant, as there are variations between different assembly plants.

PN 1100694 52 Amp looks like standard for 409 with aircon (1100696 42 Amp is listed as optional, probably when some other options are fitted, who knows? Other PNs are specific to transistor ignition).

1117665 62 Amp may be for higher-demand or heavy duty applications such as police or fire department cars. 1117765 62 Amp looks the same as 1117665.

A well as aircon, this particular car also has a rear screen de-mister that might draw a bit of current, so it looks like the 62 Amp alternator is the right one. There may be info on the case of the failed alt that I might be able to decipher when removed. I would be grateful for any further information. I will post a pic when it is removed.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your "failed" alternator has the correct numbers for your car, you should find a local rebuilder, IF there is such a thing!
Allot of towns used to have starter/alternator/generator places, not so sure anymore.
Jeff

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
First I am not sure if the alt is original anyhow, and yes, if it is correct I might be able to have it rebuilt (my preference). It is outputting about 11.5 V so it is failing. And I don't know its nominal Amp rating.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The Assembly Manual will show what alternator was used on standard engines and then on each optional engine with certain other options.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Yes, I need to get the manuals, assembly, accessories, shop, I am finding '65 is different from X-frames in a lot of ways.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
I know this is shifting topic, but I need also to replace the heater core and getting that out looks more complicated than the '61 Bel Air. An additional issue is the '65 has factory aircon (the aircon also needs an overhaul, but that can wait). It seems I will need to remove all the under dash suff on the passenger side before the heater box can be removed, but I can't see all the bolts holding the heater box in place against the firewall, and nothing shows on the other side of the firewall in the engine compartment.

427John

Well Known Member
Before you pull the whole assembly out check to see if there is an access panel that lets you just pull the core, a lot of rigs back then were like that. you disconnected the hoses from the engine compartment took the access panel off pulled the old core out slid the new one in hooked the hoses up and done. Sometimes the more complicated A/C assembly precluded that, but not always.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
That is what I was hoping to do. The hoses are disconnected from the core tube stubs in the engine compartment. I can only see one hex head retaining the core cover from inside the car. Looks like I will need to remove the glove compartment liner and a flexible air duct and maybe a few more parts under the dash to get access to the other bolts or nuts. Many thanks, I'm going shopping for the assembly manual.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Thanks src I have been in touch with the guys in IL and they can do a rebuild for me. Meantime, thanks to Jeff's link, I know which part numbers are right for the car, it will be 52 or 62 Amp. The car has factory aircon, a rear screen de-mister and electric windows that will all draw a fair bit of current.

Here are some pics of the alt I just removed from the car; no telling if it is original or a later replacement part. Body has what looks like 6L 12 - 12V NEG stamped into the case and you can read the paper sticker on the side that suggests it might be a later replacement, no GM trademarks in sight! The voltage reg is original Delco Remy mounted on the radiator support, so this is an early alt. For the alt PN1100694 is probably what I need.

Thanks for all the comments, most helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Update: from these pics, the guys in IL identified what I have, which is a cobbled together mix of OEM and aftermarket parts. The front is '72-'79 OEM and the back is aftermarket. I'm hoping they have a good '65 52 or 62 amp core to rebuild for me.

Again I depart from the topic, but does anyone know where the switch for the rear screen dempster is located? All I can see is a small chrome-plated turn-switch under the edge of the dash just below the headlight switch. If this is it then it ain't working.

I'm going to start a new post on the heater/aircon; I won't where to start with that until my manuals arrive.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you mean the rear window defroster yes the switch is under the headlight switch and is a hard to find option complete with the switch and correct knob for 65! I sold my last working one a few years ago.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Thanks for that info, yes it's a nice survivor esp having interesting options like the push-button AM radio (the antenna is broken so I can't tell yet if it is electric, not a priority just now and I haven't figured how to access it, much easier on the '61). Main thing is to get some details sorted so the motor and everything else is running right. Another interesting thing is the centre taillights don't seem to work altho they are wired in. The inboard and outboard lights work for everything, taillights, brake light and turn indicators, seems wrong.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
The alt is a replacement of hybrid parts, but it checked out OK, 52 Amp spec, so the problem is elsewhere, possibly the voltage reg, yet to be diagnosed.