Alternator kit?

Rugratman

Well Known Member
I have the engine and trans in, so now I start the smaller stuff. ;)

I got a alternator kit from Ecklers, that get rid of the generator and moves the alternator down on the drivers side. I was looking at the directions tonight, and it said: with use of a waterpump also I should use the double groove pulley's?

Before I bolt this on, has anyone used this?
Do I need new pulleys? I am running just the Alternator and pump off the crank, No AC or other stuff.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You shouldn't need double groove pulleys but you'll have to set the belt tension fairly tight.
That setup is fine, nice and clean looking but the belt contact area isn't great. If you look at the picture you can see that the belt contacts less than half of the alternator pulley. Now imagine how it would be if the belt didn't go up to the water pump and only ran between the crank pulley and the alternator. The belt would contact more of the alternator pulley and be less prone to slipping.
It's no big deal but it will require that the belt be reasonably tight.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The alternator is on the pull/tight side of the belt. Even though not much pulley contact surface, I don't think there will be a slippage problem. Like Jim said, keep it tight. Is that a late GM alternator? Nice looking installation!

Rugratman

Well Known Member
Got it. Thanks guys.
I ordered a complete kit from Ecklers and the set up actually sits up on the drivers side, not down below like BL409's.
Will post pics later.