Aluminum exterior side trim......

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't seem to make up my mind as to which direction I should go.

I don't really care too much for the anodized look that GM used. I prefer the brighter look of polished aluminum.

Problem is, it don't last long enough!

I have most of my side trim in OEM, New Old Stock. One of the pieces ( the long one for the quarter panel ) is bent in a few spots. Was like that when I got it.

So, I'm wondering if it may flatten (straighten out ) if I apply heat from a heavy polishing ? Like secure it to a bench, and polish heavy, with compound. Don't really want to send it out. I prefer to do most things on my cars.

I have a couple of pieces that are old, beat up, and will require stripping / polishing.

So, I'm thinking of stripping / polishing all of my side trim to match. Kind of bothers me to strip off the anodizing on all the OEM pieces though.

Any of you guy's been in a delima such as this ? If so, which direction did you go, and are you happy with the results?

I bought a product called "Shine Seal", and plan on using it to put a final protective coating on when finished.

Any thought's / enlightening comments ?

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hello, playing with some trim myself...wondering if you know a good product to strip the anodizing off? thanks, Dean

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think there was a thread about this a number of years ago, some paste or the like got the anodising looking like new.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think there was a thread about this a number of years ago, some paste or the like got the anodising looking like new.

I've never had any luck with trying to brighten up trim that has anodizing on it. I think the anodizing leaves a (cloudy) look. I much prefer no anodizing & just polished. Problem of course is it doesn't last. You have to keep polishing to maintain that bright luster.

I'm going to give this ShineSeal a try.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks, actually i believe the cloudy look is where the old anodizing has worn off and aluminum starts to oxidize giving the splotchy look. If i can get all the old brite dip off and polish the aluminum trim i have had some luck spraying parts with cut-in clear which looks a lot like anodizing. Just for driver quality of course...don't know how durable it is. Have used this product on aluminum wheels where the clear coat is coming off..purely as a touch up .

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:yup I use a good name brand oven cleaner to strip the anodizing. Don't get the cheap off brand stuff, not strong enough.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just completed the last piece of aluminum on my 61 bubbletop. I tried using Easy Off oven cleaner but didn't have much success. The lowrider guys recommended Hair and Grease Drain Cleaner from Home Depot. It comes in few few different sizes and worked much better. I did every single piece, inside and out! Here are some observations...

1) I used a large sheet of plastic with 2x8's as an edge or dam for this.
2) You're likely going to do multiple pieces at one time, I wore long gloves to shift parts around, making sure they're evenly coated with liquid. Some pieces seemed to repel the liquid and I would have to keep dunking them.
3) There is a chemical reaction going on so expect steam and heat. I would want any vehicles near. Wouldnt want to ruin paint!
4) How do you know when it's stripped???? It's very difficult to tell. With everything bubbling and some parts needing more time than others, this is quite difficult. I would wipe away the surface and try to inspect but I didn't let some parts soak long enough.
5) Once out of the chemical bath I laid the parts on the driveway and sprayed with the water hose and wiped with a wet towel. The parts look horrible at this step!
6) Wear jeans!
7) Once the stripping is done, I used a file, scotch brite, and a hammer to make repairs. I found using one of those foam fine-sandling blocks to be helpful at this step. Then Mothers Polish with 000 steel wool then buffing wheel then final wipe with terry cloth towel.

I drove this car in high school and wanted as many original parts as possible. My trim is not perfect but it looks 100 times better than it did!

IMAG1964_zpsowferucc.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I think I remember that driveway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Car looks outstanding Randy!!!! Mind if Dick and I come back for Cruise night?????????????

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
100_2693.jpg If you don't want to strip the aluminum yourself, you could take it to the Chrome Shop and they will strip it for you, then you could do the rest of the restoration yourself. The way that some pro's
do it, is to strip it, then with a small hammer and tool they very lightly tap the dents out, then with flat block and sandpaper, starting at 180-then 260-then higher and higher till all the sand scratches are gone, maybe up to 600 grit, then they use there buffing machine with different types of polishing bricks. This is a very long and time consuming process, one that takes a commitment to finish. If you don't re-onidize it, it will tarnish, thats when we use a product called FLITZ, you just wipe it on and off, it works really good. There are good video's on the internet that show this method.
Good Luck....100_2692.jpg

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think I remember that driveway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Car looks outstanding Randy!!!! Mind if Dick and I come back for Cruise night?????????????

Come on down Phil! BBQ on me and i'll show you just how well that center section you guys delivered coats the road with rubber! :D

Just have to finish the interior and side windows.