Aluminum radiator

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My original, 61 year old radiator just doesn't keep up like it should. I've been looking at the original-looking Griffin radiators. Does anyone have one of these? Where did you purchase it?

Ross

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I need to look at the "original looking" part. I have an aluminum Griffin I would part with.
Jeff

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You can still buy them. From what I've seen, they're more than aluminum radiators. I had the radiator for my other 63 re-cored in 2018 and it was $460. At that time, that was just under the price of a new aluminum radiator.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About radiators. I bought an aluminum one from SC, the Griffin 6252 to replace the leaking 6 cylinder radiator in Bella. Planning ahead for a W transplant. The radiator same as touches the stock manual steering box. When I do the transplant I am thinking of using stock type power steering components. If I slotted/altered the mounting holes to move the steering box away from the radiator 1/4" would it totally screw up how the steering works? I realize it will need realigned.
Jeff

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
About radiators. I bought an aluminum one from SC, the Griffin 6252 to replace the leaking 6 cylinder radiator in Bella. Planning ahead for a W transplant. The radiator same as touches the stock manual steering box. When I do the transplant I am thinking of using stock type power steering components. If I slotted/altered the mounting holes to move the steering box away from the radiator 1/4" would it totally screw up how the steering works? I realize it will need realigned.
Jeff
I have the same Griffin radiator for 409 in my blue 62 I posted in this posting.
I have only about 1/4 inch of clearance to factory steering to the Griffin radiator.
i would try pulling the bottom of your radiator support toward the front of the car. The frame mounting holes for the radiator support has a large adjustment holes allowing the adjustment I am suggesting.
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jeff
Auto City does offer an aluminum radiator with the corner cut out for steering box clearance.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We use Auto City Classic aluminum radiators. They work great, good prices and they have a similar look to a factory radiator.
In the past, I've used Cold Case radiators which worked just fine, but pricey. On a recommendation, I then tried Auto City Classic aluminum radiators which were considerably cheaper. Installed in my '62 409 and '71 GTO. The construction, looks and fit were very good. My '62 409 would run all day in July at 180 degrees. Maybe break into 185 degrees on a long steep grade, but then back down to 180. Same thing for my GTO. I have absolutely zero complaints about them. From what I recall, these radiators were welded, not epoxied, and had two rows of tubes, I think either 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" in size. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. Never felt the need to spend more then I have to just for a name. I'm sure some of the radiators mentioned in these threads are good also, but certainly more money. Just sharing my experience, Carmine.