aluminum water pump,

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
who makes the best aluminum water pump for the 409? need to get my blower motor finished off so i can break it in. also is anybody making rubber valve cover gaskets? having trouble finding a set.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a no I think on rubber valve cover gaskets. Best gasket makes some thick cork or the felpro. I think that is it. Others will say. Water pump I the edelbrock is probably the best aluminum. If wrong others will chime in.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not sure, but give Rockauto a try on the rubber gaskets. I thought I bought some through them once. The thick cork gaskets also work great for me. I believe I got them through Showcars, Carmine

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
All 348/409 water pumps on the market today , whether they are Edelbrock, imported aluminum or cast iron have a flow rate of 32 GPM @4000 RPM with a 7" crank pulley and a 7" water pump pulley. Which is best? Can't say, we carry them all.
We carried rubber valve cover gaskets made by Fel-Pro for many years until they discontinued them last year. Many guys preferred those over cork.
All the "cork" valve cover gaskets we can find at this time are not made of cork, but of some kind of synthetic.
If anyone can steer me towards rubber or real cork ones, let me know.

Bruce
Show Cars

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
think I will go with a eddy water pump. will be checking out a place near me that makes/has there own w solid core rubber valve cover gaskets. will update on Monday when I pick them up.

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
forgot to ask don, I will be using a ati bbc damper does showcars sell a timing tab that works with this setup or will I need to make my own?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
PN 6688 for the 8 inch balancer,You'd need to call them on something smaller as I've heard that those large balancers and the water pump interfere with each other.MHRP went without the balancer,just used the hub on his blown 380,said something about the blower drive belt would absorb the unwanted harmonics.

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
I know people have run without balancers on blower motors. been hearing this for years. it just does not make any sense to me that the blower belt will take out the twisting/torsional harmonics whatsoever. for a drag car I see no point in the harmonic due to the quick rpm and short time down the track. for a street car that will see lots of cruising and rpm fluctuation it seems foolish not to have one. I have never built a full on drag only motor but have built many healthy street motors and look more for reliability than every last hp. don't know much about nascar motors but they are FULL on race motors and I would bet anything that they run harmonic balancers {hope I am not wrong} though they are not street motors they do see similar rpm fluctuations and have to last for hundreds of miles on 1/2 to full throttle. just my opinion, and not looking to offend anyone. I think its a great topic to pick apart and hear opinions on.
Charlie,,,

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I read an article year ago in National Dragster about ATI super damper.
It was about some 4 cylinder Chrysler in stock class......anyway but they had tuned a damper for this engine and it made somewhere around 90 more H/P.