Another 348 saved

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like 4 speeds and parts to convert are not hard to find or install. I did my 59, 62, and 63. I know nothing about cams, I leave that to Don Jacks, he is a genius on them and I'd have no idea if your cam would be unhappy with a clutch.

I'd suggest you drive it and then decide if something isn't right.

An OD transmission will be good if you drive on the highway a lot, most old cars are not driven that way for a lot of miles each year. I get as many comments about the 4 speed in the big old Pontiac as I do about the 409.

chase

What does that do? My oil pressure is 65-70 psi. Thought that seemed High but wasn't sure. Is that caused by 1 extra gear? I thought 55-60 was normal.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I guess your Crane retrofit roller cam has a cast iron gear? And your distributor has a composite gear? I believe that they are supposed to be long lasting, but I've never used the composite gear. Someone will chime in with their experience with this combination.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That little bit extra oil pressure will neither help or hurt anything in the long term.

My Doc, says says that my extra oil pressure from my internal oil pump will be harm full over time and may cause an oil gallery to rupture
Says my oil gallerys are getting a bit clogged with gunk as well
So i guess a wynns product should work for this??
I keep telling him that good oil pressure is a good thing but he does not agree
I need to school him up i think

Steve

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Chase... don't know if you mentioned it but are you putting the engine back in the Impala?
I see it has factory A/C.
Got any pics of the car?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Doc, says says that my extra oil pressure from my internal oil pump will be harm full over time and may cause an oil gallery to rupture
Says my oil gallerys are getting a bit clogged with gunk as well
So i guess a wynns product should work for this??
I keep telling him that good oil pressure is a good thing but he does not agree
I need to school him up i think

Steve
If you get an extra tooth in your pump, I think you have a bigger problem than the additives!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It sounds like your extra pressure is caused by a "Lack of Proper Mantience" Grub![according to your doctor]:poke

chase

Chase... don't know if you mentioned it but are you putting the engine back in the Impala?
I see it has factory A/C.
Got any pics of the car?

It is a factory A/C car. no power steering or power brakes. Guess the Oklahoma heat and straight empty roads dictated the options on this one. Was bought in Enid, Okla and never moved more than 45 miles from there until I brought it to North Carolina. Not sure about putting it back in the Impala yet. Considering a 1953-64 pickup. The engine was fogged on the dyno so I have some time to decide. I'll keep working on the Impala as far as suspension, wiring , basically everything but the engine.