Another 409 comes back to life.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We got a 63 425hp engine about this time last year. The plan was to rebuild it over the winter and use it to replace the one we borrowed from the 62 Impala. (We needed that one for the 55):scratch Anyway, better late than never we finally got it running. We got the engine from one of the members, elteeron.:clap It was in great shape but it was apart so we just gave it a new set of valves, rings and bearings etc. We wanted a pretty smooth idle because the car's mainly a cruiser so we installed a smallish hydraulic flat tappet cam with 224-234 @.050 duration and a 112 lobe separation angle. It idles very smoothly and seems to run well but we didn't get a chance to do much test driving because of the wet roads. I think it'll be fine. The chrome on the valve covers wasn't great so we bead blasted them and painted them silver grey. By the way, We didn't run into any problems breaking in the new cam. We used Shell Rotella T 15-40 oil plus a can of additive that they had at the local speed shop. It's made by Comp Cams. We also ran it in without inner valvesprings.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 156

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
glad to see you've got the 62 back in action. bet it's real strong and fun to drive. you'll have it in the 12's before long.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Glad to see the rag coming back to life !!

Now if she only cAN GO AS FAST AS THE pHANTOM !!!

dANG kEyS,,,,:mad:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Jim (and Jim):

Glad to hear that you've put the Convert back together again!

Looks really good with that "stock-looking" engine in place. I hope mine comes together as good as yours, and that the break-in goes smoothly as well :).

Cheers!
TomK

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim (s) None of us would have expected anything less from you craftsmen. Great job..........that is one nice 62 rag. Winston will look good cruising in that. If my project turns out half as nice I will be very happy. Great job. Walt

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice job on the engine Jim. With the hydraulic cam, it should pretty much be a low maintenance cruiser. A RED convertible with a 409. Life doesn't get any better than this.:clap I hope you have many trouble-free cruising miles. (when nice weather comes around again):beerbang Skip::)

mac1

Well Known Member
Looks great Jim. A red 62 Impala convertible dual quad 409. Is that the holy grail or what? Hey wait a minute, that's what I'm working on! :clap :clap :clap

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, that is a beautiful job.:clap I think I like the silver valve covers better than the chrome anyway. I really like the steal fuel line with the glass filter bowl. Is that original equipment?:dunno Thanks Dan

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Man, that is a beautiful job.:clap I think I like the silver valve covers better than the chrome anyway. I really like the steal fuel line with the glass filter bowl. Is that original equipment?:dunno Thanks Dan

The fuel line and glass filter are reproduction parts from Show Cars. I wanted to go with the stock look on the last engine, but I already had Offy valve covers and the factory air cleaner was awfully expensive. So I went with a homemade air cleaner instead. (see picture) This time I'm going to spring for the factory air cleaner.

Attachments

• 67Aircleanergal1.jpg
    67Aircleanergal1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 42

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm using Wilson-Ballenger headers from Show Cars. They've got 1 3/4" tubes and they fit pretty well.