Another fuel gauge question

58impala

Well Known Member
When my tank is full the gauge reads about 5/8 full. I suspect the sending unit in the tank is the culprit. My question is: since the sending unit adds or subtracts resistance to ground depending on the level in the tank, is the sending unit resistance at it's highest when the tank is full or empty?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The less the resistance the higher the gauge will read. Take your fuel gauge wire off of the sender and put it to ground. Your dash gauge will peg full.

doc396

Well Known Member
if your sender resistance checks out ok. make sure you don't have a spider web in your guage pointer. got burned on that once:doh doc

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Its probably the float. I've changed a couple of them out and replaced them with a Ford float #COAZ9202-B. Haven't had a problem since.

buster

guage problems?

chevy fuel guage resistance values are 0 is empty 15 is half and 30 is full.easy way to check guage is ,go to radio shack get a 15 ohm resistor stick it on the wire that goes to the sender(sender disconnected) to a good ground,should read half full.check the sender with an ohm meter 0 15 30 while you manually raise the float.

58impala

Well Known Member
Well if 15 ohms resistance would read full gauge, then if I add another say about 3 Ohm resister, since my gauge reads about 5/8 full when the tank is actually full, I could make it read full. It probably would never get to empty because of the 3 Ohm resistor. I guess I'll have to pull the sender and adjust the float or replace it if the float is leaking. The Shop Manual says that can be done without dropping the tank.