another idiot

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Last week I had an accident where I was hit in the left front and now my f150 is totaled. Anyhow I was reading up on the 5.4 triton and seen some good and some bad because i'm looking at a clean 99 f150 4x4 lariat and need some good opinions. I don't mean to get off topic but I can really use some good advice. thanks vin

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Robert, I was hoping to maybe with an open trailer or even flat tow. The 99 I just looked at BOMB!!!!!!. This thing was so scratched up it made my wreck look good. What do you have in mind?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Last week I had an accident where I was hit in the left front and now my f150 is totaled. Anyhow I was reading up on the 5.4 triton and seen some good and some bad because i'm looking at a clean 99 f150 4x4 lariat and need some good opinions. I don't mean to get off topic but I can really use some good advice. thanks vin

vin, I've been working at Ford Dealerships for 38 years, I also own a 97 F-150 4x4 Lariat with 4.6L and a 04 F-150 4x4 Lariat with a 5.4L. I bought trucks new and have not had any major problems. I've seen a lot of 5.4L's over 100,000 miles with no Major engine problems, if you change your ever 4,000 miles you should be good. The 5.4L is best for towing, if you have any questions I can answer them for you and if I don't know the answer, I can get the answer for you from work.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
vin
I agree with Jim K that the 5.4 is best for some towing. I have towed both open and closed and if flat towing or open towing you will be ok with a 5.4(less weight). I would add to the regular oil changes Jim suggested to change transmission fluid a bit more frequently also.
I'll add that in my opinion the 5.4 F##D and the 5.3 GM don't do the best with heavier enclosed trailers but will work for occasional tows. Torque, or lack of, seems to affect both motors especially in hills or passing.
Are you going to be ready for the tow to Ocean City next month??? See you at the inlet lot.
robert