Another New Guy from Tennessee

TLByrd

I've been a car guy all my life, but I'm just getting started with 409 stuff. I have several project cars, and just had a shop built behind my house so I can spend a little more time working on them. I came here to learn more about W-motors so hopefully I can build mine into a pretty strong setup. I'll make another post about the engine.

I'm a photographer and writer by trade, and work heavily in the automotive aftermarket. I work full time for Coker Tire Company in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and I also do freelance work for several magazines on the side. So far, I've written a couple of books, one is called "Street Sleepers" and the other is "Lost Drag Strips", which will debut in February. Here are a couple photos of my main two projects, my '64 Corvette coupe, and my wife's '67 Camaro.

55629110151205424624208.jpg

dsc7837k.jpg

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome TL. You have some nice projects there. I had a 4sp. 63 convert. no hardtop, same hood, wheels and color in high school. lots of good memories, summer of 69. As you can see in my avitar we have similar likes. Have you got the car for the 409 build yet. I look forward to more posts on your projects. BT

TLByrd

Barry, I'd love to see some pictures of your '63 if you have any. A lot of people don't understand the mis-matched tire and wheel combo on the Corvette, but it totally makes the car for me. I recently got a pair of 7.75/800-15 M&H slicks for it, and that definitely helped it.

I've always wanted to put a 409 in a '55 Chevy or maybe a Henry J, but as of right now, the plan is the to put the 409 in the Corvette. The 409 probably won't make much more power than the small block that's in the car now, but it should be a cool piece if it all works out.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Go for it!!!! I've got a friend thats getting ready to put a Z-11 into a 63 Corvette!!!!:eek:eek

TLByrd

Now that sounds awesome! I have plans to buy a couple sets of accessories (valve covers, air cleaner, etc.) to swap out, so I can make it look like a factory-installed piece, or change to a modified look with finned valve covers and all that. For the factory setup, I thought about fabricating my own Z-11 air cleaner just to freak people out when they see under the hood. We'll see how it goes...gotta build the engine first!

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
TL, I do have a picture of it. Might be after the first before I can post it. "409 in a Vette" works for me. BT

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome TL. I'm getting ready to go home to Huntsville,Ala for the holidays,and will be going thru Chatanoga.Your 409 in the Vette is cool.Dont under estimate the power and torque of the modern equipped 409 [especially if you stroke it]/We've got members here approaching 500 hp on a stock stroked 409 TRUCK engine with ported 333[truck] heads!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome... Should be no problem making a strong setup with the info on this forum. By the way, I think the stance on the vette looks killer

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome. I'm North of you up by Crossville TN. I've bought several sets of tires from Coker over the years. Visited the museum last summer when I picked up last set of tires. I'll look you up next time I'm down your way. Good luck with 409 build. Let the forum members what parts you may need. Most of us have some sitting around.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard!

A few of us have discussed slipping the Great "W" into a C2 midyear, that would look most interesting in the engine bay. Around here we have a guy with a late 50s C1 (solid axle car) who has had a 409 for years. I have a C2 also, but no plans to change the engine out (it's a 340 horse 327 in a '63 SWC). My dream would be to clone a Grand Sport from 1963 and slide a 409 under it's hood :).

Let us know when you get started, these are fun engines to build and even more fun to drive. Lots of experience across the Board!

Cheers,
TomK

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Welcome aboard. I just polished off a jar of shine from your neck of the woods last night. I dont remember much of the evening .My wife says I was pretty drunk. :beer Oh, nice cars too!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We are planning a Southeastern get together in Chattanooga, TN this spring...probably April. We would love to have you join us.