Any Experienced Glass Installers?

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am about ready to install a new windshield and my existing back glass into the Biscayne. I have yet to find anyone local who wants to mess with the back glass unless I buy it from them...it is not reproduced. I have four of them on hand, so I'm thinking about trying it myself. Can anyone offer any hints or advice, or better yet, offer any help?
Thanks, Danny

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Danny-

The guy that put the windows in my car will do it for you. I need to find his contact info though.

bobs409

Administrator
The back glass is the ONLY one I would attempt. Back and side glass is safety plate glass, very tough and it would take ALOT of force to break one. Windshields on the other hand, easy to crack. (just ask me how I know that) :bang

I've never done the gasket type but am planning on doing the rear of my 69 Chevy stepside next year. I've been told it's easy, we'll see... Then there will be my 63 later if I'm succesful...

Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Danny-

I found his card...

Stan Young
972-877-2704

He is out of Sachse, TX and will come to you. Great guy!

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Give that Stan guy a call. Good to have friends to hook you up with info and people like that. I did simalar to that. A local gear head that had worked for safelite for years came over and helped me out. Once you help and see how its done you might do it alone next time. Looked pretty easy. Good to have someone the first time thou.

dgwar

Well Known Member
I put my back glass in. you will need a new gasket and a piece of 3/16 braided rope long enough to go around the glass. It is pretty easy to do.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The back glass is the ONLY one I would attempt. Back and side glass is safety plate glass, very tough and it would take ALOT of force to break one. Windshields on the other hand, easy to crack. (just ask me how I know that) :bang

I've never done the gasket type but am planning on doing the rear of my 69 Chevy stepside next year. I've been told it's easy, we'll see... Then there will be my 63 later if I'm succesful...

Bob

Hey Bob your looking a little haggard there is everything OK:dunno. The Rope trick Iv'e used many times . You install the new gasket around the glass and the rope in the inside lip of the gasket. load it up with some lube ( silicon ) place the glass over the hole. It helps to have a helper to put some pressure on the glass from the outside ( not to much ) Then pull the rope out from the inside as you work it around you see the inside lip of the seal flip over and around the lip of the hole. It takes a little practice and then you will get the hang of it. Good luck

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Another way...

The "rope trick" works just fine, so I am told. Did it once or twice in the past with some success.

I had the same problem 2 years ago when I did a frame off on my '62. I trusted a "local glass professional" to do the install. They suck! Put the glass in OK, put the trim back on, paid them $125 or whatever, but..... they didn't use any of the sealer, just put it in dry :( :( :(. I figured that out some time later when I took her outside and it snowed....

So I removed the trim and glass and did it myself. Did both front and back glass. It was a bit of a chore, but I thought about it for a long time (2 beers).

Think about it, they are on the line for what, maybe a few minutes and you have to get that glass in, positioned and sealed before it moves to the next stage of assembly. So you have a few minutes to install that glass, right?

First I put the black sealer all around the metal portion of the windscreen perimeter. Then I put the rubber gasket on the glass, dry (no sealer yet). Not using the rope, I set the rubber-perimetered glass into position in the metal frame, which was all "buttered up" with the black goo. Once in the general position I found you can grab the glass on both sides (at the same time, two palms) and actually move it into "near final position", about a quarter inch in all four directions. After setting the glass/rubber into position I had to "work" around the perimeter with a metal edge to "set" the glass and rubber lip into final position. Once set in place, I then peeled back the lip of the rubber against the glass and put another very thin coat of that black sealer (got it for free from a local installed who offered some advise but didn't want to take on the job, nice guy) into that space.

Tested it with cups of water, held just fine. After two years and 6500 miles, she still repels water :).

If I had to do it again, I'd do it myself, but not for anybody else :)

Good luck!

TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Done it with the rope and make sure everything is warm. Texas should not be a problem:roll
robert

bobs409

Administrator
Think about it, they are on the line for what, maybe a few minutes and you have to get that glass in, positioned and sealed before it moves to the next stage of assembly. So you have a few minutes to install that glass, right?

Agreed but I often wondered the same about headliners. :scratch How in the world did they install those in a few minutes and so perfect everytime? :dunno

I want their secrets on that one! :deal

Bob

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just too much welding lately I guess. Do my eyes look a little bit buldged? :eek: :roll I also forgot to comb my hair for this avatar pic. :p

Bob, I think I can help. I have a better pic for you. More up to date hair style.
:p:D
:roll

Attachments

• Spot Check_570x600.jpg
    Spot Check_570x600.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 31

bobs409

Administrator
Ahhh, how cute. :)

BTW, my avatar is named Pepe' and he is one of the muppets. He talks with a Mexican accent. Cracks me up! :roll

Bob

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
First I put the black sealer all around the metal portion of the windscreen perimeter. Then I put the rubber gasket on the glass, dry (no sealer yet). Not using the rope, I set the rubber-perimetered glass into position in the metal frame, which was all "buttered up" with the black goo. Once in the general position I found you can grab the glass on both sides (at the same time, two palms) and actually move it into "near final position", about a quarter inch in all four directions. After setting the glass/rubber into position I had to "work" around the perimeter with a metal edge to "set" the glass and rubber lip into final position. Once set in place, I then peeled back the lip of the rubber against the glass and put another very thin coat of that black sealer (got it for free from a local installed who offered some advise but didn't want to take on the job, nice guy) into that space.

Tested it with cups of water, held just fine. After two years and 6500 miles, she still repels water :).

If I had to do it again, I'd do it myself, but not for anybody else :)

Good luck!

I overheard a guy talking a while back about the sealer in the window. He said he used a needle and saringe (think I spelled it right) from tractor supply. Said it was for large farm animals. After the window was installed he would squirt it in with that. Sounded intresting but I havent tried it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Syringe injection

"I overheard a guy talking a while back about the sealer in the window. He said he used a needle and saringe (think I spelled it right) from tractor supply. Said it was for large farm animals. After the window was installed he would squirt it in with that. Sounded intresting but I havent tried it."

That might work, but that black sealant is pretty thick. I started with a new tube for that part of the application, cut the tip very small, squeezed the gun real hard to get it in there, wiped the excess off with a rag dipped in solvent. Came out OK.

If the syringe has a reasonable opening, that might be a good path to explore. I am not an expert, I just try to think logically and then see how things go. Always plenty to learn!

Best,
TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
61 Glass replacement

I have been following this thread, chuckling the whole time. I have a '61 Belair 2 dr sedan and recently r&r'ed the front and rear glass. Luckily, there is a local guy who does most of the resto (old car) work in the area, has a great reputation, is mobile, and also who has a full assortment of clips and all of that stuff. So I didn't take it on alone, I helped when needed.

As experienced as he is, he had never done a rear glass on a '61 sedan. The windshield was quick and easy, the rear glass created a few issues.

A bubbletop looks like a piece of cake, but the sedan has that distinctive overhang, uses different molding clips (make sure you have spares) and the repro rubber, at least the one I got, was not quite as nice a fit as the original. Not to mention if you manage to break the glass...it took the rope technique and both of us working it into position to get it right and not to make a big mess with sealer. To me it was money well spent, but we had them both done in 3 hours or so.