Anybody need tinted glass for a '60 wagon ?

Hippie

Went junkyard scouting today and came across a 1960 4 Dr. wagon, I believe it was a Brookwood . It was rusty, crusty and bent and the windshield was cracked but it still had all the remaining factory tinted glass in it. The guy sells stuff pretty cheap if you pull it out. I'm going back very soon to knock some goodies off a '61 Impala 2 Dr. and a '62 Pontiac, I may pop the glass out of the wagon while I'm there. If somebody here needs it holler and I'll make a point to pull it.

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Hippie,
Im in STL. Do you mind telling me where this yard is?
I dont need wagon glass, but I do have need for 61 parts and others. If you want to keep it a secret I understand.
Thanks,
Pat

Hippie

Well, I know Mom always told me to share BUT................... :rolleyes: I'd kind of like to keep it my little secret for now. A guy I work with put me on to it and I promised I wouldn't tell a bunch of people, yards like this are few and far between around here now. You know how it is, fishing holes, mushroom spots, free beer............. ;) Plus the old guy that runs it isn't wanting to become too "popular", he's been there forever and is kind of out of sight and out of mind so the state and county just kind of "leave him be" and he'd like to keep it that way.

What '61 parts. etc. are you lookin' for ? There was another '61 Bubbletop out there I know but the weeds and grass are so thick and tall right now you could walk 3 feet from a car and not know it was there and I couldn't find it. It's been quite awhile since I was there last but I hope to find it again next trip.

I'm taking the roof off the one '61. I have this hairbrained idea of grafting a bubbletop onto my '62 SS when I rebuild the body. I have to replace the outer floors, inner rockers, floor brace ends and body mounts due to rust and I have to graft in a firewall from a donor car thanks to some twit that hacked up the firewall trying to put '63 AC on it. :cuss I also have to replace one quarter because it is so wavy it makes me seasick every time I look at it, too bad too because it is actually very solid. I want mine to be different and I always thought Chevy should have made a Special Edition '62 SS using the bubbletop roof. So ,since I haven't found a better body and I already have to do so much work I figure what's a roof swap on top of everything else ? Actually I would prefer to find a '61 shell that had a fair floor but needed 1/4's and hang my '62 sheetmetal on it. That's why I want to find that other one because as I recall it had been hit in the front but from the firewall back wasn't too bad.

Am I nuts ? Probably but people have done crazier things.

merc50

Actually a guy on the HAMB (another message board I am on all the time) did this...he took a 62 Impala and put a 61 bubble top on it. I can't remember who it was but I remember he posted some pics. I will try to track them down if you want.

Hippie

Originally posted by dq409
Hippy, Must be all them mushrooms.......:D :D :D

Those kind don't grow around here dq, that's out where you live. :p :D I always use the excuse that we didn't have bicycle helmets when I was a kid. ;)

merc50, if you could find some pics that would be great. Thanks. There is a guy in the Tulsa area that put a '62 front clip on a '61 but I haven't seen any pics of '62 Bubbletops converted to an Impala or of Impalas with the bubble grafted on but I'm sure there must be some out there. And if there weren't somebody would do it before I got mine done.

merc50

We might be talking about the same car...seems my memory was off on this. I hunted around and found a message from the guy who did it and this is what he said he did:

"i had a 61 i made INTO a 62 bubble... i welded 62 impala quarters on it and added the front clip,the doors are and dash are the same so it looked tits on cept the impala trunk(extra tail lights as ...oposed to belair) it would of been really bitchin but i had to sell it... "

Im not sure where he is located...might be the car you are talking about. His pics are not longer hosted on the site.

Hippie

No the Tulsa car was still all '61 from the cowl back. It has been in a couple magazines. What you described is what I had in mind IF I can find a reasonable '61 shell otherwise I will graft the '62 roof to mine.