Anyone have experience with a pre-fab garage?

62BillT

Well Known Member
Steel 20 x 26 $5,265.00, I think you need a slab though. Maybe not. :dunno

20x26-Vertical-Garage-North-2.jpg

https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.co...arage-north-p/20x26-vertical-garage-north.htm

I got this exact same building back in '04, except mine is open front and rear. It has the gables though, just no doors. It's been a great building for what I wanted it for, just to keep the weather and sun off of two vehicles as well as extra storage to boot. This one is just sitting on flat ground.

I have plans for another, but this time a 24 x 31 with Heavier Gauge Steel, Certified (for strong wind strength), 2 Garage Doors (like above), a Walk-through Door, 2 Windows, Vertical Roofing and Prodex Roof Insulation. All for about $8,000 Delivered and Installed. Only I want this one on a Concrete Slab which, of course, will be extra.

I've been hesitating on going with another, mainly because these buildings will drip from condensation at times, but I just learned of the new Prodex Insulation which is supposed to cure the problem of it.

For the money, they are a pretty good value. I got my first one extra cheap mainly because they brought me the wrong one. I ordered an 18 x 26, but they showed up with a 20 x 26 instead.

I told them I would take it, if the price would not change and they happily agreed, as I'm sure they would not had wanted to make the whole trip with the crew and all, for nothing.

Here are some of the examples of the type of building I'm planning on going with:

http://www.carportcentral.com/product-category/garage/vertical-roof-style/

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Damn, how I wish to live in the country with very little codes to worry about.
Can’t change a light bulb without a city permit in the city.
Was thinking about a bigger garage, but city code says it can’t be any larger then a certain percentage of my living area.
They also say any out building must be of similar design and style that is in the neighborhood.
So it dream on.

Dave

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know about where you live Bob, however my understanding is there is never a wood to earth contact in construction. I am sure those garages are on a piling of something. No way are they on the ground, and if they were, run..............................................

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
One thing to keep in mind when checking into or purchasing a metal building, find out how they install the roof metal. A friend of mine purchased a metal building. The metal on the roof was installed with the ribs horizontal instead of vertical and the building was long enough that they had a seam. It leaked until he finally had to hire someone to redo the roof.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I don't know about where you live Bob, however my understanding is there is never a wood to earth contact in construction. I am sure those garages are on a piling of something. No way are they on the ground, and if they were, run..............................................

Pressure Treated wood posts set into the ground in pole barn construction have proven to hold up well for many, many years, although I have my doubts that the wood buildings that Bob looked into have all Pressure Treated floors.

The thing I really do not like about Wood Floors is jacking and supporting cars on them. Especially when the floors get a little age on them. In my opinion, buildings with wood floors should be no bigger than a garden shed. A vehicle has no business on one. One on that type of floor anyway.

bobs409

Administrator
The more I look, the cheaper I'm getting! I started at $12-15K for a double wooden structure, then down to the one Dick showed in metal and now I'm thinking of possibly going with something like a 24 x 21 metal car port that I can enclose front, back & lower sides myself. That is under 2k. (the one below) I'd do a slab first, then they come and put this together like shown. Doing the rest is easy. A 16' single door and the wrecker can even stay in when I like it to. :D My head is spinning....this is worse than picking out LED garage lights!

24x21-Regular-Carport-North-2.jpg

To be clear, I'm looking for something for 2 finished vehicles that I occasionally drive. Need easy in/out. No working on them so just shelter...

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
After looking a little further, it would be about $2,725 with closed sides. This price reflects these upgrades I selected; 12ga posts which have a 20 year warranty and higher snow load, closing both sides and adding 3' to the sides. (9 ft sides rather than standard 6 ft)

Until you guys talk me out of it, I'm for this one. :D Figure about 2k in concrete in addition to the above. The bad part is the land has never had anything on it so I'd have some trees to cut down, stumps to grind and rent a bobcat to level it all out. Still, it's pretty cheap shelter for 2 vehicles.

Just thinking out loud here... :D

62BillT

Well Known Member
Bob,

As far as closing one in yourself, I have found that it is a whole lot better to have them close it in for you at the same time they are building it. The materials you would need to measure, buy, haul along with the time involved to install it yourself can really add up. Unless someone is bored and doesn't mind working for peanuts, I would definitely have them install it. It's really not that much more and well worth it in my opinion.

Also make sure it is everything you want before you order one. Mine started out as just a Roof, then I decided on Full Sides and Gables (luckily they had to make another trip back anyway and I just added that to the order). But a month or two after they left, I realized I should have just closed in the backside too and Garage Doors on the front end, lol. But it still has been a great building anyway, the way it is.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
The guy working for peanuts would be me. :D I would go with 2x4 studs and T 1-11 siding so would be a breeze. I can get a 16 x 7 non-insulated garage door for about $480. It's the site prep that SUCKS!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The guy working for peanuts would be me. :D I would go with 2x4 studs and T 1-11 siding so would be a breeze. I can get a 16 x 7 non-insulated garage door for about $480. It's the site prep that SUCKS!
I don't know Bob, that 7' garage door has me thinking. I was going with an 8' door and my brother-in-law said to go 9'. WTH. Likes spending my money. But I did go with the 9' and glad I did. Even with plenty of room on both sides, I skimmed the right rear quarter on my '64 once. That's just being careless. Not sure how a wider door would affect your overall dimensions, but it's something to think about, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 12x20 metal car cover on a cement pad with side access to the street. It's not covered down the sides, however it is in the back and works great.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Go with a 10foot. Never know what you might buy in the future!!!!! I've got 10' doods and a toy hauler that is 12'2" tall!!!!! DUH........

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pressure Treated wood posts set into the ground in pole barn construction have proven to hold up well for many, many years, although I have my doubts that the wood buildings that Bob looked into have all Pressure Treated floors.

The thing I really do not like about Wood Floors is jacking and supporting cars on them. Especially when the floors get a little age on them. In my opinion, buildings with wood floors should be no bigger than a garden shed. A vehicle has no business on one. One on that type of floor anyway.
Got me, good point. I guess my fences I built are earth to wood contact also. Come to think about it, we put all those wood utility poles right in the ground treated. I still would not want earth to wood contact personally.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't know Bob, that 7' garage door has me thinking. I was going with an 8' door and my brother-in-law said to go 9'. WTH. Likes spending my money. But I did go with the 9' and glad I did. Even with plenty of room on both sides, I skimmed the right rear quarter on my '64 once. That's just being careless. Not sure how a wider door would affect your overall dimensions, but it's something to think about, Carmine.

The 7' is the height. I have 9 x 7's on my garage and I can get my wrecker in so that's enough for me. I like the 9' wide even for cars. Pulling into an 8' space feels too tight.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, in your climate, a metal building will sweat summer and winter, without some kind of insulation or a lot of air movement inside.

Maybe go the container route and do something like this.:cool:

Honomobo-Prefab-Homes-2.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 7' is the height. I have 9 x 7's on my garage and I can get my wrecker in so that's enough for me. I like the 9' wide even for cars. Pulling into an 8' space feels too tight.
OK. Got it. That above pic is kind of neat. Very creative on someones part, Carmine.