Anyone know anything about this car?

1958 impala

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
63 409

NICE FIND RICH,
BOULDER IS QUITE A LONG TRIP FROM ROY UTAH OR ID CK IT OUT FOR YOU.LET ME NO IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO GET IT ,WOULDNT WANT TO GET IN THE MIDDLE.CAR LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A GOOD HISTORY.

:cheers

Rich64SS

Well Known Member
Unfortunately, my money is tied up in the 64 right now, so help yourself if it's right for you.

Boulder is a lot farther from MA.
I wish I had found this car first, or better yet, the silver 64 '09 he's also listing.
Don't know how I'd feel about driving a Grand National lookalike on the street all the time.

I look on the 'net for cars/parts that I can't afford every day.

I was just wondering if there were any know stories behind that car cuz it's so different.:cool:

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello guys, I believe this one is a Faux Car as the gennie has the MK 427 porcupine motor and has been sitting at Floyd Garrett's Museum.

Looks interesing and price is certainly fair if driveline is ok.:confused:

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
real or deal?

Why does the detail page say that the car has a powerglide and the picture shows a floor shift manual trans?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Floyd's

Floyd's Holley Farms car is the only "authorized" replica. Floyd asked and received letters of permission from Holley Farms and the others to replicate the car. His version is just flawless...it's one of my favorite 63's. I don't anything about the car on eBay.

While we are on the subject of Floyd.....anytime any of you are in the neighborhood of Sevierville, TN.....you must take time to see his Muscle Car Museum. It is the nicest and most complete of any in the country. And if you can catch Floyd on a slow day...you can get all his old racing stories NO CHARGE!!! He is a delightful man to visit with!! Sevierville is east of Knoxville, TN and west of Asheville, NC. All of our engines are well represented in his engine collection as well as many cars. The cars do rotate ocassionally. Floyd is one of the nicest persons you will ever get to meet. Tell him I said he should give you a discount!! Might get you throw out too!!!:D :D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
FLOYD'S HOLLEY FARMS 63

Found a couple of pictures of Floyd's 63....

Attachments

• floydholleyfarms63-1.jpg
    floydholleyfarms63-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 269

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
another Floyd's 63

one more..........

Attachments

• floydholleyfarms63-2.jpg
    floydholleyfarms63-2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 279

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
FLOYD'S Z-11

just to get you excited!!!!:D :D :D

Attachments

• floydz11displayengine1.jpg
    floydz11displayengine1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 261

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I LIED!!!!!!!

ANYBODY WANT TO TAKE THIS OUT FOR A TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Attachments

• floydredz11-2.jpg
    floydredz11-2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 251

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
DA MAN!!!!!

Here's Floyd giving me the "ole thumbs up"!!!!! He's too nice to do the other kind of salute!!!!

You would all love to go through his museum!!!! Try to do it sometime!!!

Attachments

• floyd&enginedisplay.jpg
    floyd&enginedisplay.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 248

Neil W

Is anyone interested in this car?

If so, I live about 15 miles from Boulder, and can check it out for you. If not, I may check it out for myself. I don't know anything about what to look for if it's genuine, but would be happy to crawl around it for somebody. I must say, at that price it's hard to believe it's the real deal, and I would only be interested for myself, if it was a fake and in need of a new paint job.

The company is not in the phone book or listed with information, but I think I may know where they are (if it's who I think it is). I also dropped them an e-mail, hopefully they will respond tomorrow and let me know if they still have the car, and where they are located.

It's kind of funny when somebody 2,000 miles away tells you about something in your own back yard! :)

Neil

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey everyone,
Having been involved with NASCAR racing during this time frame, I couldn't pass on this. I don't think the car in question is anything other than a clone and not a real good one at that. Just looks like a white 63 Impala with the lettering on it. However, if it's a 409, it's worth the price. Something just doesn't add up though.
I would agree that the car in Darlington is one of the original race cars. As I recall, they had several cars. I think that Ray Fox had the speedway cars in Daytona and Jr. kept the short track cars at his shop in Wilksboro NC. I recall at Charlotte, they kinda had one last fling, they had 3 cars there, all looked the same except they were numbered 03, 3 and 33. Jr. Johnson drove one and I think G.C. Spencer drove one and I can't remember who drove the other one, might have been Paul Goldsmith. The factory help had dried up and they were able to scrap together enough stuff to build motors for all three cars. I need to check the record books but I think they all qualified but didn't last long in the race. This has been a looooong time ago!!! At the time, I was a 19 year old kid working as a the gas man on one of the independant Pontiac teams.
I also agree with Phil Reed, I've visited Floyd Garrett's place and it's the best. If anyone is in that area, don't miss it.

Tommy

Rich64SS

Well Known Member
I thought it seemed a little too good to be true for the price! I couldn't get any response through email, either.

Man, I LOVE this messageboard! Thanks Phil, for those AWESOME pics.
Floyd Garrett does have a website: http://www.musclecarmuseum.com

Neil, I'd love to hear what you find out. I'm not able to pursue the car at this time, so good luck!

Rich64SS

Well Known Member
After re-reading the description:
"1963 CHEVROLET IMPALA, Junior Johnson Race car, built in his shop. It was last used as a pace car for most of the 1983 NASCAR races. The car was awarded to the winner at the pole day parade in Charlotte NC on May 24, 1984.The car comes with original photo and documentation from 1983 races including all pit stickers from the 1983 season. 409 cu in "Roller" racing engine built by Lamar Walden Automotive (nationally known 409 guru) in Doraville Ga. Less than 5 miles on motor-never raced. 9500 to build Dual Edelbrock 4 barrel carbs Turbo action racing powerglide transmission New seats and carpet straight rust free body corrosion free frame and body mounts. These 409 were conservatively rated at 425hp. This race prepared motor is easily 500+"

It seems that the car was some kind of promotional item in '83. I don't remember anything like this. Seems like it would be easy enough to verify. The price concerns me. Low for an '09 clone, never mind a piece with this kind of supposed history.

Let us know what you find out, Neil :cheers

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I'll buy that, do they list G.C. in anything, sure seems that I remember him driving one of Fox's cars in that last race at Charlotte. I'm certain there were three of them that day. Man, that was forty years ago!!
I was in Daytona last week for the Turkey Run, I stopped at a car wash to spray my car off and right across the street was Smokey's old shop, the old sign "Smokey's, Best Damn Garage In Town" is still there so I pulled my car over there under the sign and took a picture. Couldn't beleive it was still there. Can you imagine what that sign will be worth some day?
Tommy:cool:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I guess some of Smokey's family own the property but I don't know. Thanks for setting my memory straight on the Charlotte race. I had some of it right, like I said, that was 40 years ago.
What are you using for your information? the books, 40 Years Of Stock Car Racing.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I have those books also, drove a few races back then, managed to get my name in there a time or two.