Appraisal?

0monte

I have a 63 Impala with 409/425. I have no history on the car other than I was told it spent a long time in an indoor Chevy muscle car collection. I would like to have a documented appraisal by someone that is more than familiar with W motors. I would really appreciate anyone that can head me in the right direction to get it done. I live in the Eugene, Or. area. Thanks for any help.02F0612C-C474-4FE8-B044-3BF81315D88E.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have worked in a classic car dealer for the last 8 years. AVOID large appraisal companies you find online. Find an absolute independent appraiser not linked to or associated in any way to any company. Call around to your local classic car clubs and find who does it locally and not working ofr a national company. Reason being is the guy that is there for some large appraisal group has a set of rules/numbers they are provided and told to use as the value of a given car. They will create a "value" for your car not actually related to the "market value" that people are actually paying for similar cars. An actual independent appraiser will take his/her time and find cars on the market in similar condition as yours, include any damage, or repairs needed, additional history you can provide on what has been worked on, fixed or painted...
There are also a number of reasons to get an appraisal. For insurance purposes to fix or replace. For piece of mind on how well you did a fresh restoration, and for possible sell/purchase... Expect to spend $350 on the low end up to $700 on the high end. It will take several hours and a lift will be needed. They will take a couple hundred photos, probably use different instruments to measure everything including paint, bondo thickness and even bring charts, pictures, papers from other cars to double check vin numbers match, wax markings are correct and in the right location. Its not simple or an easy process but for any investment it is worth the time, money and effort to do.
The more you know about that engine the better (block casting, heads are matching pair, intake, pistons could be high compression, crank which could be a 4" stroker) because most price guides claim about a 75% bump in price for a 409 option alone but every change from factory can bring up or down the value. That is not including Super Sport, 4spd, Posi options. We have several members up your way that may be able to assist you with the engine date codes.
Good luck, appraisals are only as good as the individual's knowledge of the car/parts before them along with any additional information they need to gather through research.