Arm rest retainer clips in door

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks like the clip will slide up if you take a small screwdriver and lift the one end a little to disengage from the edge of the door, then drive the clip towards the top and it should lift out. There should not be any bending required.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You may need a second screwdriver to contact the edge of the clip to drive it upward, may also require a third hand.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just die grind off the single small tab on bottom interior picture that will remove it, then simply put in other door and spot weld where that single tab was. That spot weld just keeps clip from falling in door . The clip will be secured by inner tabs that are still there not from pulling out when you put arm rest on.
You should not have to alter that clip at all, remember these were designed to be installed on an assembly line. They had to be easy to install its just that they snap into position so you have to release that engagement in order to slide it up for removal.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The best I can tell, the little tag on the top has to be bent over.
It must have that tang bent at a 90* when new and then it is bent over after it is in the door panel.
I thought it would rock over into the hole but that little tang is to long for it to go in like that. :dunno

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It warmed up a little here so I thought I would go for another attempt to remove another without damage to the door, guess what, only one door had these pieces. :scratch It is a 4 door 63 BelAir

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve never ran across an old car in all my past that these clips were removed. Doors were stripped, but those clips were always still there. Never had to deal with these before now. PITA.
Thank you, for your help, James!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The other doors had armrests, but the screws just went into the door. Three of the doors don't have the cross shaped holes for these clips.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I had planned on installing the clips in my door over the week end, but priorities overrode.
So, I gave it some thought, and it looks like my method of attack will be to make a small slit in the door skin, bend the sheet metal slightly, slip the clips into place, bend the door panel back into place, spot weld, and done.
I can’t think of any other way of doing this. The clips are spring steel, and will break when bent.