Armistice Day

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Today, November 11, 1918 in the early morning, elements of the 6th Marines were ordered to cross the Marne River to keep the pressure on the Germans so there would be no considerations to rethink their surrender. All these brave Marines knew that the cease fire would be at precisely 11:00 A.M., later that morning. Under heavy machine gun fire, they began to cross the river. The losses were horrific. Just as they sacrificed themselves to take Belleau Wood, they took the opposite river bank.

I cannot imagine the courage it would take to perform an act such as this, knowing the war is over.

May God Bless all of our brave men and women is so gallantly serve/served our country. I can only hope they and others, have not done so in vain. :appl

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm going to our cenotaph shortly, my Dad was Merchant Navy (he was flat footed and rejected from military service), spent 39-45 on a tanker traveling from Venezuela, Gulf of Mexico, east coast USA and Canada, then Europe. Saw lots of other tankers blow up and burn while in convoys.

May God bless all who served in war and may they always be Remembered for their sacrifice.

Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm going to our cenotaph shortly, my Dad was Merchant Navy (he was flat footed and rejected from military service), spent 39-45 on a tanker traveling from Venezuela, Gulf of Mexico, east coast USA and Canada, then Europe. Saw lots of other tankers blow up and burn while in convoys.

May God bless all who served in war and may they always be Remembered for their sacrifice.

Don

Dad was 19 when he went to war, he saw the Graf Spee in Montevideo, the Normandy after it burnt in 1942 in NYC, and was in a convoy when a U Boat surfaced and started sinking ships (they made a movie of the event). He saw lots of sailors die in the water during convoys, and other tankers burning. He never did/could talk about what he saw, I only learned about the convoy when we were watching the movie and he said "I was there".

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On October 7th 1993, this photo was taken as I (me in the middle) and others were getting ready to head to Somalia following the events in Black Hawk Down.
Thought I'd share this today.
Of the things I'll never forget is, 14 - 16 hours in a C5A Galaxy with three re-fuels in the air! Oh, and having one of four window seats!
1sj6.jpg

Rats, the photo got old and disappeared after 2 years, I'll have to find it again.